All windows doing weird s%#t.

Richard Moore

12 year old townhouse condo. Low end finishes, etc. All of the vinyl clad windows and sliding doors had weirdness going on between the panes. No brand name visible. Only one actually showed condensation, but the rest had odd defects in a perimeter coating. This varied from dry looking flaking to slumped and "melted" goop. Anyone seen this before? I haven't.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012927224219_0037.jpg

57.01?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012927224233_0038.jpg

47.24?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201292722435_0036.jpg

30.34?KB

Due partly to this, but mostly to a slab that had obviously settled unevenly within the footings, this was terminated early and my client happily walked away from the potential headaches. Just wondering at this point.

BTW...Do windows go in the interior or exterior section? I can never decide.

Hi Richard,

I've seen that many times. Lots of times the metal frames that 'goop' is in gets all rusted. Normally see it on the sunny south and west sides of the house. The east and north sides, where the sunlight is less, sometimes fail too albeit more slowly.

I normally stick that kind of thing in the interior section but a broken pane I put in the exterior section 'cuz it's the weather envelope. Works for me anyway.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Windows are exterior. They are part of the building envelope. They get repaired or replaced from the outside.

Need more logic than that?

But we tend to inspect them most closely from the interior. And that is the view the buyer will get.

I have seen the failing gasket, but never that bad. The sagging gasket can be a real concern for the buyer and understandably so. It looks terrible, but if the seal isn't broken, there is no great incentive to replace the glass. It is an expensive cosmetic issue. [:-graduat

A kid must have shot his thermopane window with a BB pistol one day. I said "The glass is broken" The realtor butted in with "But it's only broken on the inside."

I said, to my client "The seal is broken".

• 2 weeks later...

Windows are exterior. They are part of the building envelope. They get repaired or replaced from the outside.

Need more logic than that?

But we tend to inspect them most closely from the interior. And that is the view the buyer will get.

I have seen the failing gasket, but never that bad. The sagging gasket can be a real concern for the buyer and understandably so. It looks terrible, but if the seal isn't broken, there is no great incentive to replace the glass. It is an expensive cosmetic issue. [:-graduat

A kid must have shot his thermopane window with a BB pistol one day. I said "The glass is broken" The realtor butted in with "But it's only broken on the inside."

I said, to my client "The seal is broken".

Roofs only leak on one side too.

That crumbly stuff is a desiccant not a gasket, if it's gotten wet enough to fall apart it most definitely is a seal failure. If it is falling off because it's desiccated it is a faulty material. Both are manufacturing defects.

I put windows and doors in the interiors section, everything else inside is cosmetic. I don't describe cosmetic stuff- that's the RE's job.