Client wants to video inspection

I've never had a client want to do that but I believe I'd refuse the inspection if they insisted on videotaping my every move.

My excuse would be that the camera throws off my focus. It's like a client that wants to talks to me constantly. I can't inspect with a ratchet mouth going off like that, even if my cochlear implant is switched off.

Marc

I've never turned one down. I explain that it's not helpful, they'll miss a lot of what I'm saying, but if they gotta, they gotta. I usually start talking, then stop, start, stop, laugh nervously, explain I'm not good talking to a camera, etc., etc.

They start, then about 7 minutes (or less) into it they realize it's idiotic and turn it off.

Never had anyone go for more than a few minutes.

If someone was stupid enough to put it on YouTube with edits, it's an actionable offense. People can't film you and publish it without a release.

Hi,

Yeah, I've had people ask and I've allowed it. I tell 'em that there won't be any re-takes; they either get it the first time or they lose it and I'm not going to repeat it all if they were so focused on the camera that they forgot what I was saying to them.

It doesn't bother me in the least to have the camera aimed at me. I just do my usual school of the house presentation and it flows the way it always does. Like Kurt has experienced, I've had them stop filming a little way into it and put the camera away.

I suspect the video camera might be some folks' way of ensuring that you are doing a thorough inspection because of the implication that they'll have a record of everything you did, and failed to do, later on. I think that once they realized that they were getting a far more thorough inspection than they thought they'd be getting they saw the camera as unnecessary. At least I hope that was their reasoning for stopping.

I haven't have anyone video me lately - at least I don't think I have. If someone were to request it today, I think I'd require them to sign something saying that it won't end up on YouBoob or anything else without my permission.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I inspect alone, then do a 45 minute walkthrough, so the video is not a huge distraction. I don't do a speech for the camera, just start walking and talking.

I wish I had a copy of the mobile home inspection video, where we walk up to the storage shed which I had passed by before, I slide open the door and it falls off. Then we go around the back and I point out the oil tank, the hose bib, and watch out for the dog poop. He swings the camera down to his shoe, and I'm busting a gut.

In the kid's bedroom, I'm showing him the window latch is good, and he gets a shot of an ashtray full of soggy cigarette butts on the ledge outside. "Charming' he says. I thought it was hilarious.

I suspect the video camera might be some folks' way of ensuring that you are doing a thorough inspection because of the implication that they'll have a record of everything you did, and failed to do, later on. I think that once they realized that they were getting a far more thorough inspection than they thought they'd be getting they saw the camera as unnecessary. At least I hope that was their reasoning for stopping.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

That's what I think.

It makes no difference to me, like others have said after a few minutes I know that they will stop. I move around so much and I do not wait or tell folks if they are shadowing me that "Hey I'm going into the next room or the backyard". I have had clients tell me that I'm like a stealth inspector because I'll be in one room one moment and across the house the next. Some say it I'm sure with the point being that they are having a difficult time following me around because I do not tell them or give them directions like "we will now be going into the half-bath to see if I can see anything that might make me want to go into the next room to see if I can see anything that might make me want to go into the closet of the adjoining bedroom"!

I've had one person ask. She was originally from Japan and English was her second language and she wanted to tape the inspection so she could review it. I did point out that I don't speak English either, I speak Merican :). I had no problems with it, just did what I normally do. Can't remember if she taped the whole thing or quit. I do remember I got quite a few referrals from her.