gas vent termination clearance

I'm trying to determine if I can back up a clearance issue using the manufacturer installation instructions. The linked manual (pg 11 pg 13) says clearance above deck 12" minimum.

Does the railing count as deck? Is there an applicable violation to this vent in the manual?

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/instal ... 31_550.pdf

Click to Enlarge
tn_20121216164841_P1320473.jpg

33.7?KB

Last I heard wood railings are just as combustible as wood decks. I think you're good to go.

That's what I was thinking but the documents don't mention clearance to combustibles for the vent termination. They only say 12" minimum above decks.

Are you sure the intent of the instruction document is to include combustibles? Or are they giving clearances for the purposes of safe drafting and exhausting of CO gasses?

Sidewall vent termination clearance to combustibles: 1" below & sides and 3" above.

That's standard required clearances for direct vent vent pipe, but I'm not sure it's the same requirement at the vent termination.

John- See figure 6.2 for those listed clearances.

For some reason I was thinking about interior pipe runs for those dimensions. My answer was right there in the manual and I missed it.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Sidewall vent termination clearance to combustibles: 1" below & sides and 3" above.

That's standard required clearances for direct vent vent pipe, but I'm not sure it's the same requirement at the vent termination.

John- See figure 6.2 for those listed clearances.

Figure 6.2 shows annular clearances around the pipe, not from the termination.

So far, I don't see anything in the instructions that would prohibit the installation in John's picture.

• 2 months later...