PVC to Cast Iron

Mike Lamb

This is a 2" PVC drain going into a 3" cast iron sanitary T with a 2" branch. I'm not sure if the connection is being made with caulk or mortar. Is it possible a neoprene compression donut is stuck in there?

If not what are options for repair?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013415131449_084WW.jpg

29.1 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013415131519_054TT.jpg

30.26 KB

The Bell end is missing from the tee inlet (that would have been cut off). There is no point after the bell that a no hub band connection could be made or any other code approved connection could be made. The cast Iron fitting looks like it could be a cleanout tee which would have been located there at the floor.

Recomend a plumber for evaluation of drainage loads, venting and piping design.

Lee

Not sure, I'd have to see it. But, I'd start with the lack of a clean out and the hacked connection.

If what I needed to see was buried in a wall, I'd indicate anyone that would do the hack job would do other bad stuff, and it's all in question until I could tear open the wall to look.

The reason I wouldn't call a plumber is.....I've yet to find a plumber in Chicago with adequate analytical ability. They all blather nonsense, then sell people stuff they don't need.

Then again, I'm dealing with Local 130, where anyone with decent analytical ability is drummed out of the corp. Maybe it's different elsewhere.

Not sure, I'd have to see it. But, I'd start with the lack of a clean out and the hacked connection.

If what I needed to see was buried in a wall, I'd indicate anyone that would do the hack job would do other bad stuff, and it's all in question until I could tear open the wall to look.

The reason I wouldn't call a plumber is.....I've yet to find a plumber in Chicago with adequate analytical ability. They all blather nonsense, then sell people stuff they don't need.

Then again, I'm dealing with Local 130, where anyone with decent analytical ability is drummed out of the corp. Maybe it's different elsewhere.

Its clear you have it figured out. I mean the general idea of how specific contractors are not competent. But you are the exception and your clients don't understand it. Whether you think it will solve the problem or not, the correct call is for repair by a qualified plumber.

Seriously though, we all understand you but you are the one who has to put the recommendation in writing.