rain gear

John Dirks Jr

Why do you ask? Are you expecting a deluge tomorrow? When I heard the forecast Monday, I went to to block tomorrow off my schedule, but just before I got to it, a 1:30 got booked. At least the house has a nice big, old-fashioned front porch. That makes working in heavy rain a bit more bearable, especially when arriving at the house.

I mostly use a cheap vinyl poncho and a baseball cap. Sometimes I just use a big umbrella, especially if it's humid and I don't feel like sweating.

I have Pioneer rain pants that I wear in the dirty crawlspaces. Double layer. The jackets are double layer, good gear for working in rain all day. Overkill for a 20 minute tour of the exterior and roof.

I keep a light rain jacket in my truck that I bought at the cycle shop. I might wear that a couple times a year. A light fleece jacket and the ball cap serves me well for wind and rain.

What do you use to stay dry when you have no other choice but to work in the rain?

El cheapo plastic ponchos are not cuttin' it anymore. I need to step up to some real rain gear.

What do you recommend?

You're a mailman for God's sake. Don't you have a line on rain gear?

Rural Mail Carrier and all curbside delivery from within the vehicle. I still get wet when the rain comes in the door horizontally. It's like, everything is fine but when you turn the corner, you get nailed. I do run parcels to the door but I run in between the rain drops.

Breathable rain jacket and a umbrella. Yes, I use a umbrella! Honestly in the 20 years I have been doing this, my rain jacket and umbrella have worked well for me. I have rain paints if I need them, but I can't recall the last time I pulled them on. I use the same rain jacket and pants for backpacking. As Kurt noted, REI is a great place to find rain gear.

I also bought a bunch of polypropylene shoe covers, this is the same stuff plastic tarps are made from. I don't have to worry much about my shoes staying clean, this cover does not leak or bleed through like they Tyvek type covers.

Today I used my clipboard to keep my camera dry. But you know, a nice big golf umbrella would have been really nice. Thanks for that idea Scott.

So, I'm moving up to an umbrella and moderately priced rain pant/coat set. I'd like to find something with decent pockets for flaps on top to keep stuff dry.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...