Any northwest Washington guys know the story here?

I wonder how much of that blame should be directed to the code enforcement authority that didn't enforce everything.

Does Seattle get any of that crap we have down here in Louisiana where the State adopts the codes but enforcement is left to the counties and municipalities who enforce only what's politically benign?

Marc

I wonder how much of that blame should be directed to the code enforcement authority that didn't enforce everything.

There are a lot of crappy AHJ's. That said though, in one of my towns my department has been cut from 90 man hours to 35 man hours with no reduction in responsibility. Truthfully, the 90 man hour department was short handed, now it's just ridiculous. I'm currently working 35 hours a week total, for two towns and replacing what took former inspectors 105 hours per week.

I am employed by one town and they rent me out to another.

About once a month I remind the Boards by email that they've put me into an unsustainable situation so when somebody dies, I'll have an audit trail of requests for more time and more help.

Back in my construction days, it was not uncommon for inspector to drive up and ask the boss if everything was done correct, be told yes, sign off and drive off without ever getting out of his truck (having previously inspected some of his job sites). Easy to see why things get missed so much, especially with the workload some have.

Back in my construction days, it was not uncommon for inspector to drive up and ask the boss if everything was done correct, be told yes, sign off and drive off without ever getting out of his truck (having previously inspected some of his job sites). Easy to see why things get missed so much, especially with the workload some have.

You missed the part that the boss handed an envelope to the inspector before he drove away.

You missed the part that the boss handed an envelope to the inspector before he drove away.

Easy to see how that can happen too

No Mercedes. Maybe a bicycle.

That's what's crazy. When the mopes do get busted, it's always for some dipsquat amount of money. They take a possible felony charge for a few hundred dollars. On the big ones, it's a few grand. Maybe a few grand.

Same with politicians. The problem is keeping them bought.

No Mercedes. Maybe a bicycle.

That's what's crazy. When the mopes do get busted, it's always for some dipsquat amount of money. They take a possible felony charge for a few hundred dollars. On the big ones, it's a few grand. Maybe a few grand.

Same with politicians. The problem is keeping them bought.

In one County in my area the payoff is five bucks an inspection for large subdivisions.

• 2 weeks later...

What are the specific problems in this development?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20141123112851_11_22_14%20002.jpg

64.9 KB

Hi David,

Yeah, I've done some of those. The list of things wrong is substantial. Pulled a report to review it. Below is a list of some of the stuff and the reaction I bet I would have heard had I talked to the builder directly and not just the full-of-shite agents:

1. Deer mice and rat infestations in crawlspaces and attics are off the hook? Hey, we can't be blamed for that.

2. Paint is sloughing off everywhere and we used lousy painting contractors? Who are you to say that just because the paint is failing after five or six years?

3. Exterior caulking failing everywhere? Well, it said exterior grade. What is this ASTM thing you are talking about?

4. Head flashings? What the hell are head flashings? We used caulk and we used self-flashing vinyl windows - I don't understand what the complaint is.

5. What do you mean brickwork needs through-wall flashings and a way to drain?

6. What do you mean when you say that adhered masonry veneer is supposed to be able to drain? I don't get it.

7. What is this James Hardie Hz10 best practices guide you keep mentioning? Our guys have been putting on siding for 30 years. They don't need to see any instructions.

8. Blocking and flashings and drainage gaps around siding penetrations? I don't get it.

9. Kickout flashings? What are those?

10. James Hardie requires a gap between ends of gutters and siding? I"ve never heard that and I've been building 30 years.

11. What is a butt joint flashing?

12. What do you mean back prime trim before we put it on?

13. We're supposed to install flashings over trim? You're crazy. I've been building 30 years and I've never heard that.

14. Aw, those little mushrooms growing out of the window don't really mean anything.

15. You pushed your finger completely through the trim and the underlying building paper and into the wall sheathing? Are you nuts? I oughta sue you for damaging the home I have for sale.

16. Soldier rows are supposed to slope? What the hell has the military got to do with this?

17. What do you mean the flatwork guy was an idiot by putting the stoop directly against wood. What's wrong with doing that? I've been building houses for years and this is the first I've heard of that.

18. Seal untreated end cuts? What have you been smoking?

19. Hey, we just planted the vegetation. It looks nice planted right against the foundation; it's not our fault if the homeowner doesn't keep it trimmed off the house and doesn't know enough to prevent it from growing up behind the siding.

20. We piled all that mulch against the base of the walls because it looks bitchin'. What's wrong with that?

21. Truss uplift? What are you talking about; that's just a failed mud joint. We'll fix it with some caulk and everything will be fine.

22. It's not our fault the garage is overrun with deer mice; we didn't invite them in.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I have inspected new construction numerous times this year with many improper stucco details. With all the problems out there some builders and contractors are still clueless.

On a recent new construction inspection of a townhouse there were no weep screeds. I contacted the inspector. His answer was that an exterior inspection is not part of there inspections. After a framing inspection and next overall inspection is a final inspection and there they concentrate on life safety issues. They do not have the money or manpower to look at everything. However, in many cases I think they could do a better job.

Remember, it is not the obligation of the building inspector to make sure every detail meets code. It is the responsibility of the builder.

I have inspected new construction numerous times this year with many improper stucco details. With all the problems out there some builders and contractors are still clueless.

On a recent new construction inspection of a townhouse there were no weep screeds. I contacted the inspector. His answer was that an exterior inspection is not part of there inspections. After a framing inspection and next overall inspection is a final inspection and there they concentrate on life safety issues. They do not have the money or manpower to look at everything. However, in many cases I think they could do a better job.

Remember, it is not the obligation of the building inspector to make sure every detail meets code. It is the responsibility of the builder.

Money is the excuse. The real reason is politics. I had a chief building inspector say it straight to my face.

Marc