POS Company in Ontario

My money often doesn't arrive until 48 to 72 hours after the swipe.

My only gripe is that the charge by Square is not on my bank statement. That makes it necessary to 'cheat' on my bookkeeping to show separately the square charge and also the correct amount that my client paid for the inspection. I'd much prefer two separate transaction on my bank account, the inspection fee credit and the Square debit.

Despite this, yeah, it's as good as it gets.

Marc

I had been very happy with Square until a month or two ago, when out of the blue, I got an email from Square containing customer feedback from a client. WTF? I found out that Square had implemented a a new program called Square Feedback. If you request a receipt be mailed to the buyer, along with it, Square sends a customer feedback questionnaire to the buyer. Square never asked me to opt in to this, nor did they even notify me they were going to do it. I was incensed. To make matters worse, you can't go online to opt out. I had to email customer service to get them to stop doing it.

Hi Team Inspectors!

Intuit has a card swiper that fits on your smart phone. Love it when you can connect invoicing and payment with your dispatch program. Check out Kickserv, FieldService by Corrigo, Service Titan. May be more than you want right now, however...worth looking into! :) xo$ Ellen

I get a large number of clients who can't show up at the job and want to pay over the phone instead. The rate from intuit for 'keyed in' transactions is 3.15%. That's not attractive.

It'd be nice though to have something that works better with my Quick Books Pro accounting software. I've used it for near 20 years now.

Marc

• 1 year later...

How is that a problem? My percentage of the fee is my revenue, their percentage is theirs. Why would I want to show revenue I didn't receive?

I think what Mark is saying is that he posts an invoice for a standard amount to his books, and if the customer pays by check he gets the full amount whereas if the customer uses Square he gets less. Suppose you generate an invoice for $350, post it to your books, and then get paid $340.37 because Square took 2.75%. How to you post the payment received if it doesn't match the invoice amount?

For some folks it would be easier if their bank statement showed the full $350 coming in and then a separate debit of $9.63. Sounds like Square does not do that.

Using Quickbooks, what I would probably do it create an account called "Credit Card Processing Fees", show an underpayment of the invoice, and write off the missing money to that account. QB asks if you want to write off the missing money if you enter a payment for less than invoiced.

But I digress..... carry on.

How is that a problem? My percentage of the fee is my revenue, their percentage is theirs. Why would I want to show revenue I didn't receive?

I think what Mark is saying is the he posts an invoice for a standard amount to his books, and if the customer pays by check he gets the full amount whereas if the customer uses Square he gets less. Suppose you generate an invoice for $350, post it to your books, and then get paid $340.37 because Square took 2.75%. How to you post the payment received if it doesn't match the invoice amount?

For some folks it would be easier if their bank statement showed the full $350 coming in and then a separate debit of $9.63. Sounds like Square does not do that.

Using Quickbooks, what I would probably do it create an account called "Credit Card Processing Fees", show an underpayment of the invoice, and write off the missing money to that account. QB asks if you want to write off the missing money if you enter a payment for less than invoiced.

But I digress..... carry on.

I'll try it. Thanks.

Marc