When it comes to appliances installed through a hole in the wall, there's a gap between code flashing requirements and appliance manufacturer requirements that often results in leaks. John's particular installation, a FP insert through vinyl siding, is a good example of that.

Such an application needs robust flashing born of an intimate knowledge of flashing techniques to avoid leaks.

There are some situations where it simply isn't possible to flash something properly.

JMHO

Marc

Not sure, but guessing that the water is coming in on the outside of the pipe, rather than through the pipe. Flashing that particular wall cap nicely would be hard, as you'd have to make a custom sheet metal piece to protect the top of the wall cap, which is going to catch a lot of water. Putting that thing in an exposed location is asking for trouble.

On the top section of sheet metal with the 90 degree bend near the vinyl,is there any scrape marks? Like something got ripped off? Shortly after I moved into my current house we had a strong wind in the middle of the night and the cover for my fireplace vent was hinged,after rattling and slapping for 1/2 an hour I went out and ripped it off,then built a solid one out of a piece of stainless the following weekend,seems to draft ok. Maybe they didn't get around to replacing?