Manufacturer's Defect?

In-Depth

This is the original 3-tab roof on a 2008 built house.

My first thought stepping off the ladder was Wow, this roof looks like crap!

Extensive premature wear/granule loss and hairline cracking at all sides.

My thought is defective shingles.

Agree? What do you do about it?

The pics don't look as bad as it did in person

Click to Enlarge
tn_201551105821_i9.jpg

18.64 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201551105844_i11.jpg

24.89 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20155110590_i12.jpg

20.65 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201551105916_i14.jpg

18.28 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201551105931_i16.jpg

23.94 KB

Most of the damage seems to be in the built-up, double-thick sections. There were a lot of shingles that did this in the 90s and early 2000s but I haven't seen it in a while. If the fissures are really just limited to the thickened sections, it doesn't seem to cause performance problems.

I can't tell much else from your tiny little pictures.

I'd certainly be pointing it out in a report, but it probably doesn't mean all that much regarding performance. Probably a mfg defect. I see it a fair amount in that age group.

What do other folks call these shingles? Dimensional, architectural, laminated.....(?)...

They were the fakey "laminated" shingles-they were the same thickness throughout.

I told the client they might get some replacement shingles from the manufacturer, but they would still have to pay for tearoff and installation. Otherwise, they might get 15 years out of them instead of the usual 20-25.

Hey Jim,

I don't think I would tell the client they would last two weeks. They are not in good condition now. as to what they should do, I would not tell them anything. roof shingle claims are very difficult to prove or claim.

Personally, I don't think there is any recourse or claim. just crap shingles that have holes in them. replace them and let everyone else worry who pays.

just my opinion.

Thanks Les.

This is just one of those things that bug me-not being able to give someone a definitive answer.

In the end, I told them there was a problem with the roof and punted it to evaluation by a qualified roofer.

The house is less than 10 years old, so maybe they can do a warranty claim with the builder-good luck with that!

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I fully agree with you that it is a Manufacturer's Defect. The life expectancy of a roof varies between different roof materials. Asphalt Shingles have an age of 15 to 18 years, whereas Asphalt Shingles, Architectural has 24 to 30 years maximum. There are some factors also that also contribute to a longer or shorter life of the roof such as color of roof, angle of roof slope & orientation of roof surface etc. Generally, a roof with dark color has a short lifespan whereas higher pitch roofs tend to last longer.

Emma Taylor.

OK, here's the follow up.

Mfg rep, builder, roofer all looked at it. All agreed it looked like crap, but the general consensus was it wasn't going to affect the performance of the shingles.

Performance? Does that mean this won't make the roof leak now or soon? I agree. Will the defects reduce roof life in those areas? Yes. By how much? A few years maybe or more. I don't know.

I call the shingles dimensional but every layman around here says architectural. Most listings just say, "glass'" when it is asphalt comp. which is interesting.