What is this insulation?

This is the first time I have ever seen this material. It is about four inches thick and solid (almost feels like a lightweight slab).

The photo was taken at the entry hatch to the attic.

The house was built in 1950. It is a slab on grade ranch house.

I told my client that I have not seen it before and I will try to do some research. Now I am asking my home inspector think tank. Opinions?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015615122418_Attic%20Insulation.jpg

58.66 KB

OK, I am glad it is not just me. This one has me stumped. The material is installed throughout the attic and directly above the flat ceilings. It does not feel like a foam product. It is what I would imagine what an OSB structural panel would feel like before it was compressed. I also don't know if it contains asbestos since it was installed over 60 years ago.

I've seen something that looks exactly like it that was installed as suspended ceiling tiles on old school buildings.

Was this insulation panelized?

Marc

They are some type of rigid panels. There is a finished ceiling installed under them.

Access to the attic has been blocked and there is only a small opening that I could barely fit my head through to see. I took a few photos and this material is over all visible flat areas.

I am also concerned that there may be asbestos fibers in the material.