Fascia Rot

62caster

Hi all,

Put an offer in on the house that had a known issue with the fascia board (due to clogged gutters). The previous offer fell through because the buyer was spooked by a 9k repair estimate. Since then, the seller has received an estimate from a contractor her agent recommended for 3k. It includes...

Repair fascia/drip edge @ left & right front corners of garage.

Repair fascia/drip edge @ right front gable.

Repair fascia/drip edge/soffit @ left front gable.

Repair fascia @ left lower rear gable.

Repair fascia/drip edge at left rear corner of house (facing rear).

Repair fascia/drip edge/soffit @ left rear corner of garage (facing rear).

Install flashing at five small gable ends.

Replace damaged shingles at front porch gutter.

From experience, does this look adequate for repair? Anything I should specifically ask about or look for? Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures, but from the naked eye it doesn't seem bad at all.

Thoughts?

Determining if 3K is adequate can hardly be done on an online forum.

Curious, would you actually be ok with the seller fixing these items? He knows he's not going to answer to the quality of the repair once it's your house. It's not surprising he found someone cheaper. I'm surprised he stopped at 3K.

Marc

Sorry - maybe I worded it wrong.. I'm not asking whether the price seems in line, but just what I should ask my contractor when he goes out to look at it, and what to look out for. We wrote it into the contract that I need to have an impartial party come give a bid.

Hi all,.....................................

From experience, does this look adequate for repair? Anything I should specifically ask about or look for? Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures, but from the naked eye it doesn't seem bad at all.

Thoughts?

Even with pictures you may miss a lot of damage.

How are the rafter ends? Just to pick one area. Then there is the question of the top plate. The list could go on and on.

Then ask if the repair is to be an exact replacement of existing design.

Your best bet is to get your own contractor to make an all inclusive binding bid for the work after he has physically inspected the damaged areas.

Hi all,

Put an offer in on the house that had a known issue with the fascia board (due to clogged gutters). The previous offer fell through because the buyer was spooked by a 9k repair estimate. Since then, the seller has received an estimate from a contractor her agent recommended for 3k. It includes...

Repair fascia/drip edge @ left & right front corners of garage.

Repair fascia/drip edge @ right front gable.

Repair fascia/drip edge/soffit @ left front gable.

Repair fascia @ left lower rear gable.

Repair fascia/drip edge at left rear corner of house (facing rear).

Repair fascia/drip edge/soffit @ left rear corner of garage (facing rear).

Install flashing at five small gable ends.

Replace damaged shingles at front porch gutter.

Thoughts?

My guess is that the real cost is somewhere in the middle. Seller uses the lowest number he can get away with and the buyer uses the highest.