Stains on Hardiplank

palmettoinspect

Came across some weird stains on this house today. I've never seen anything like it. It's just on one side of the home. This side faces south east and doesn't get much sun. Does not appears to be from sun damage. Home is about 4 years old. Anyone seen anything like it?

Thanks,

Kiel

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016426225133_rsz_imgp5666.jpg

41.96 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201642622524_rsz_imgp5667.jpg

31.1 KB

I share John's disoriented feeling re the sunlight.

Never seen anything close to this.

If this house is on the coast and went through Charleston's record rains of last year, I might guess there is no WRB and that the wall might have suffered some wind driven moisture intrusion.

As an AHJ some yrs back I busted a hurry-up spec builder putting up cement fiber siding without wrb about halfway through the job. The siding came down and he started over again.

As an AHJ some yrs back I busted a hurry-up spec builder putting up cement fiber siding without wrb about halfway through the job. The siding came down and he started over again.

He lost that siding, did he? Far as I know, it can't be removed without destroying it.

I've never seen spotting like that.

Marc

Is there a WRB applied under the siding?

If so what brand, if you can tell.

From what I could tell looking behind the perimeter band board at the bottom edge there was. I could also see the blue colored OSB wall sheathing edge and it was in good shape. I could not determine the brand of the WRB.

This appeared to be a pretty good install. It's a Pulte/Centex home and they tend to build decent houses around here. I'd be very surprised if they forgot the WRB, but I guess anything is possible.

I have seen some of this staining before when the WRB was left off and moisture got behind the siding. We have had it at the top of the wall when there are humidity issues in the home in the bathroom areas. this has in my experience been a cold weather problem with high indoor humidity and a not very well sealed wall envelope.

The air moves from warm to cold and wet to dry. Warm indoor dry air is wetter than exterior cold wet air, the vapor pressure is outward in the winter. In an area such as a bathroom where the exterior wall is not sealed well, this can be an area prone to moisture forming on the wall under the siding and running out the laps of the siding.

Sounds crazy but I have been called to look at several of these occurrences in the last couple of years.

What weather zone are you in?