Secondary soffit ventilation

Trent Tarter

First time I have seen this before. New builder in area is building homes with a secondary ventilation strip that runs full length at both sides of home. Seems like a good idea as ventilation issues are commonly found down below eaves. The home has ridge vent, soffit vent, and these additional vents placed low on roof a few feet above eaves. Is there a specific name for these type of vents?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016721135441_P1510624.jpg

84.05 KB

OTOH there are those who say any penetration of that roof deck invites trouble. Was there not another way to vent?

Who here has seen a skylight that did not leak?

I've seen hundreds of skylights that have never leaked.

Roofs are all about penetrations and any competent roofer can deal with them successfully.

Thanks, John, for that serving of Kogel cogency. I have seen eaves in hilly resort areas that are so close to touching you can hardly fit a paintbrush between them.

Jim, in our area, which gets likely lots less rainfall than yours, roofs are for shade as much as for rain, so skylights are rare here. Almost all skylights are retrofits, usually installed by a country boy who likely is no roofer.

OTOH there are those who say any penetration of that roof deck invites trouble. Was there not another way to vent?

Who here has seen a skylight that did not leak?

I've seen hundreds of skylights that have never leaked.

Roofs are all about penetrations and any competent roofer can deal with them successfully.

Jim B,

I also have seen hundreds of skylights that have never leaked. But, that said, have seen hundreds of skylights that always leak!

Glass half full or glass half empty.