Inspection fee for this?

• 2 months later...

Google it:

The average home inspection costs around $315, with condos and small homes under 1,000 sq ft. costing as little as $200.

The "tree service" obtaines those numbers a a direct quote from the NEW Service Magic, i.e. Home Advisor website.

Gotta love those tree guys.  They're swinging in them.  What they're swinging is kind of stinky though!

I wonder where they get their data. The most comprehensive accounting of inspection fees that I know of is the ASHI Business Operations Study. It includes data from ASHI, NAHI, FABI, CREIA, and TAREI. The last copy I have is from 2011 and is probably out of date, but is shows an average price of $350 - $360, which is bad enough. 

If you were a brand new HI with no experience, what would you charge?  When I started in 1996, I wasn't just inexperienced.  I was a well intentioned, horrible inspector.  It took me a little while to figure out how ignorant I was.  

To get work, I was charging $180 for a small house when my the competition was charging about $300.  Regrettably, my clients got what they paid for.

In 1996, I would have charged $250 to inspect that town.

Edited by Mike Lamb

• 3 weeks later...

Around here I'd say,

The average home inspection company going bankrupt around here charges around $315 for a typical home inspection; and for  condos and small homes under 1,000 sq ft. charges as little as $200. That's a real good example why about 80% of new inspectors fail and go out of business within two years. Don't want to go bankrupt? Your fees need to be high enough to pay you a living wage. Determine how much you need to make per hour, day, week, month, annually in order to make a living wage and then set your inspection fees high enough to reach your income objective.