Weil Mclain Age

kurt

Originally posted by kurt

My old link to Weil Mclain isn't working; they seem to have changed their site, and no longer list the ages of old boilers.

I've got a Weil Mclain Model PCG Series 4 boiler; anyone got an age?

And, anyone know where they're hiding they're parts list?

Sorry, I don't have that one. Here's everything I've got on Weil Mclain -- PCG isn't in there.

Oh, yeah. I've now gone a little over a year without seeing a boiler. (Except for none-working late 1800s monster.)

- Jim Katen

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif Weil Mclain Boilers Round.pdf

34.76 KB

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif Weil Mclain Boilers Gas.pdf

43.9 KB

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif Weil Mclain Boiler Oil.pdf

35.88 KB

PCG is the model; that's what I can't figure out. They used to have a great list w/all the parts for the old stuff, but they moved to N. Carolina, got a new web site, & don't seem to have info on the old stuff anymore. Damn, I should have printed it out, but I figured they'd always have it on their site.

Well, if Kibbel likes 'em, that says something right there.

See, I take some heat here in the land of hydronics for telling folks to put in a Weil Mclain; all my snooty high falutin' friends want to snag a Burnham, a Peerless, or the ultimate designer lablel, the Weissman. I kinda like the high ball stuff too, but it conflicts w/my proletarian I wear Wranglers not Gap sensibility.

Hi,

I inspected a house with hydronic radiant floors about 9 years ago that had one of those little WM boilers. I seem to recall reading at the time that there'd been a recall and that fellow ended up getting a new boiler out of it. You might go over and check out Recalls.gov Kurt and see if there's anything there.

OT - OF!!!

M.

WM had a number of stinkers when they were transitioning to the high efficiency condensing stuff.

The one's I'm talking about are the classic blue green case, cast iron jacket types.

I've seen a couple of the newest condensing types recently, w/the domestic hot water tanks tagged on; time will tell how they do.

Huh,

What's going on? Is a Michigan feller tryin' to one-up a Massachusetts feller? Does Les mean that Massachusetts doesn't get cold in the winters and those Massachusetts fellers don't know how to install hydronic heat so that their boilers don't go out? !!!! Straighten that guy out Jimmy!

(Once was stationed in MA for more than 4 years. That place get @#$%ing cold and snowy in the winter. Rivals Buffalo I tell you!

I can say that comfortably, sitting here in Western Washington in these oh-so-frigid 55 degree days with a little bit of rain and no snow. Hah!)

OT - OF!!!

M.

Et tu Kurt?

Les doesn't need any straightening out. But it is uncommon to see a leaking gasket because when they leak, boilers are typically replaced immediately. And it isn't a huge problem, but given the choice between a boiler whose cast iron sections are bolted together with rubber gaskets in between, and a boiler that costs $100-$200 more that is connected by push nipples in a press, there's really no reason not to go with the Peerless.

I put in a Weil McLain Gold Series Boiler with a Beckett burner in my first house and was very happy with it as well.

But these days I'm all Peerless and Riello.

Truth to tell: My wood stove gets a harder workout than the boiler most days. It's a Vermont Castings Encore with a catalytic converter. Now that's a fine little piece of cast iron.

Live from Princeton, where we don't drink skim or decaf anything and it's colder than a penguin's pouch,

Jimmy

I've had a pesky streak running in me the last couple days; you know, you always hurt the one's you love most....

Screw boilers; foooging chunks of iron heating BabbittLand. What about art? Yes, what about art?

We need to abandon those bleak landscapes where the mystery of nature is laid to waste and pursue our muse. I think I'm going to abandon home inspection & finally chase my dream of walking in the steps of the great Gaugin.

I'll send you a postcard...

Nahh. Kurt'll be OK. He just gets like this in the winter. Windsurfing is the mental equivalent of "opening all the windows and airing out the house" for him, and in winter, the air in his head gets a little stale.

Hopefully someone close to him will recognize this and send him up to the shack to watch the snow fall for a long weekend. That'll fix him up right. Shoot, he's probably on his way there right now...

I have encountered only a couple circulating boiler systems in homes. Of course this is the geographical location. My Brother is a professional steam fitter and he installed a hot water circulator in his home decades past. It is an excellent system. He says it is the best heating system to have.

Anyway I have a gas fired forced air system which is typical for this area. My utility bill tripled from October to december. $120 in October to $370 in December which is considered high for this area. Most of it was natural gas for furnace. I am just wondering what you pay for utilities for hot water boiler circulating systems in the north country monthly.

Paul Burrell

Georgia

I heat a couple of buildings with forced air and one with hydronic. I don't think there is much if any difference. Most of the perceived difference is the "response" factor; gas forced air will blow yer skirt up with toastiness and hydronic leaves you fully clothed and covered. My wife will kick up the gas forced air in a heartbeat and stand on the register, but only complain about the hydronic system and kick the radiator! Kinda the difference between a fried egg and one that is poached!

Note: do not send Kurt to the cabin - there ain't no snow.

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

...that costs $100-$200 more that is connected by push nipples in a press....

I would run with that, but it rates too high on the fish-in-a-barrel scale. [:-dev3]

Truth to tell: My wood stove gets a harder workout than the boiler most days. It's a Vermont Castings Encore with a catalytic converter. Now that's a fine little piece of cast iron.

As usual great minds think alike. I looked at a number of VC wood heaters this past winter, thinking towards next year. They have some very good stuff. However, the decision has been made to take a long, hard look at geothermal first. One should do well here, summer and winter, if we can swing it. I envy you the VC though.

Brian G.

VC Models Sound Like John Wayne Movies...The Defiant, The Resolute, etc. [:-cowboy]