southern yellow pine

These rafters barely qualified as 2x4.  The steepness allowed them to get away with scabs.  Down in the crawl these guys notched away more than half of joist height to rest on ledgers.  It is something I see a lot of, but only rarely have I seen joist split as a result of over notching.

19 hours ago, Jim Baird said:

These rafters barely qualified as 2x4.  The steepness allowed them to get away with scabs.  Down in the crawl these guys notched away more than half of joist height to rest on ledgers.  It is something I see a lot of, but only rarely have I seen joist split as a result of over notching.

I see split joists all the time. Maybe it's the difference between SYP and eastern white pine. 

18 hours ago, Chad Fabry said:

I see split joists all the time. Maybe it's the difference between SYP and eastern white pine. 

Now wait just a minute there...Southern Yellow vs Eastern White.  Is there a racist subliminal twist going on here? 😁

Edited by Marc

1 hour ago, Les said:

I prefer Douglas Fir.

How about for floor framing?  I have a distant cousin who bought a house built in 1917 by a rich guy south of here.  He framed the whole thing from California redwood.  No telling what it cost him but the house is still standing straight.

Around here SYP or floor trusses are needed for any kind of span, and SYP has been degraded by the standards institutes and the codebooks because the "super trees" being raised now by the wood production experts are so pithy they fail the engineering tests applied by the raters.

Someone earlier mentioned bounce.  As an AHJ I inspected a modular with floor trusses that passed muster far as I could tell.  The owners had moved in a bunch of stuff too early, and when I walked across the dining room the dishes in the floor standing china cabinet all rattled.