Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello gentlemen. In your experience based opinions, what is the overall best handyman vehicle? Consider you needed to buy something for 10-15k.  Obviously it would be a used vehicle.   But what’s better, vans or pickups?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since a handyman is likely to offer more than one trade, he'll need to carry a lot of tools/equipment plus the occasional materials and panels.  Pickup, preferably with an 8' bed and extended cab for tools.  I took my rear bench seat out of my pickup and laid a plywood bed and back panel.  Holds a great many tools and supplies once they are organized in modular storage boxes.

Edited by Marc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal opinion is the van is the better vehicle.  I have been impressed with converted "bread" vans.  Couple of them had fold out hammocks!   it seems there is lots of room for stuff, slow speed, good gvrw, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Marc said:

Since a handyman is likely to offer more than one trade, he'll need to carry a lot of tools/equipment plus the occasional materials and panels.  Pickup, preferably with an 8' bed and extended cab for tools.  I took my seat out of my pickup and laid a plywood bed and back panel.  Holds a great many tools and supplies once they are organized in modular storage boxes.

My uncle is a licensed and insured handy man.  He swears buy his pick up with an extended cab plus a bed cap.  He made an extension that slides out of the bed so that he can get at his tools in the back.  It also doubles as an onsite work bench.  I have always liked the idea of sprinter vans myself.  Roof rack for ladders and materials.  I'd definitely go for the hammock idea.  Nothing says pro handyman like taking a nap on your lunch break. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought a 1997 Chevy C1500 with what I think is called a crew cab, has 3 doors?

I paid 3200.00. It came with a new, rounded tube, lumber rack on it.The interior is in pristine condition. The engine is the old Vortex engines that I have been told run forever. I changed the brake fluid, flushed and put new coolant in the radiator, did an oil change and she's happy now.Tires were brand new and she had 147,000 miles on her. I am the third owner, I will wash her and take a pic so ya'all can take a peek at her. I named her Gertrude, Big Gertie for short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 9:53 PM, JayneEVHI said:

I just bought a 1997 Chevy C1500 with what I think is called a crew cab, has 3 doors?

I paid 3200.00. It came with a new, rounded tube, lumber rack on it.The interior is in pristine condition. The engine is the old Vortex engines that I have been told run forever. I changed the brake fluid, flushed and put new coolant in the radiator, did an oil change and she's happy now.Tires were brand new and she had 147,000 miles on her. I am the third owner, I will wash her and take a pic so ya'all can take a peek at her. I named her Gertrude, Big Gertie for short.

your post sound like my life after meeting my wife!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Les said:

your post sound like my life after meeting my wife!

 

Which parts of this post? You paid for her, pristine interior, high mileage, her happiness after changing fluids or you being the 3rd owner?  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooooooh, gee wiz! Did I say just a few things wrong or or everything wrong in that post? Please, excuse me if it seemed like I was attempting to brag about my high mileage, second owner, used, POS that I bought to use as my business truck.

I guess what I was getting at is that any truck will do as long as its dependable and presentable and is good. on gas.

 

 

Edited by JayneEVHI
did not like what I typed so I changed it.
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...