CTL

SNations

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 2:39 AM, Jim Katen said:

Yes, they would. 

I pop these out and take a picture of the shattered plastic on the back. 

(I know, I know, gosh whiz, inspectors aren't supposed to do that. I say fuck it.) 

I note you had another birthday recently.  Age has its privilege.😄😄 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 11:00 AM, Scott Malkinson said:

It's a SqD Homeline breaker in a Siemens panel (not listed to be in the panel in the first place). The CTL marking has no relevance.

It's relevant because it means that the breaker had to be damaged in order to fit into the panel. Simply installing the wrong brand breaker in a panel is a very minor issue that's unlikely to have any impact on anything in the real world. Physically breaking the case of a breaker is a larger concern. 

8 hours ago, Scott Malkinson said:

Are there differing degrees of wrong?

I would say there undoubtedly are. A category I furnace with a B vent sloped at 1/8" per foot is wrong. A category I furnace with a PVC exhaust vent is very wrong and dangerous. Silly example, yes, but there is absolutely a spectrum of concern when it comes to defects in the various systems. To assign every issue equal significance would be a disservice to the client. Many know little about homes and how they work.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:25 AM, Scott Malkinson said:

Doesn't the mismatched  panel/breaker combination issue render the CTL issue a moot point?  Are there differing degrees of wrong?

I think it's the other way around. A shattered breaker renders the mismatched brand a moot point. A shattered breaker is a whole 'nuther level of wrong. 

• 1 month later...

Home inspection as a risk assessment... there is no absolute right or wrong. We need only explain the risk levels if not self evident (and according to my insurance company - its never evident so when I point out a pipe leak, I have to say " Water leaks can damage contents, materials, structure and may cause mould. Possible hidden damage".

And each client has their own level of risk tolerance for any particular problem - or for each side of the triangle. Some are good with vermiculite - some have personal experience with a stove missing an anti-tip bracket, or leaking fridge that makes them averse to appliance concerns. Some have the money to deal with the consequences, some have the skills to lower the risks... I never know and it doesn't matter.

The-risk-triangle.png

Edited by ejager