Tidy work

John Dirks Jr

Nice looking but there's no slack in the wires. I once almost got fired from an oilfield job for failing to provide slack. Slack is needed in case a breaker connection goes bad and the wire needs to be snipped, or if the connection needs to be moved to a breaker further away.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 7:18 AM, cswearer said:

Clean looking panel, most tandem breakers are meant to be placed at the bottom of the panel not near the top where 240v breakers are meant to be placed. Breakers should descend in size down the panel.

Tandem breakers can be installed wherever the panel schematic allows them. On some panels, that's the bottom. That's not necessarily the case on all panels. 

I was taught the descending size thing as well - big breakers at the top. But I've never found a source for that rule other than "that's how we've always done it." If I had asked a question like that when I was coming up, I would have received a smack on the head. My guess is that it's just a cultural habit descended from the old fuse panels and split bus panels, which were factory arranged with the large appliance circuits at the top and the "lighting" section at the bottom. Are you aware of an actual rule for this? 

12 hours ago, Jim Katen said:

Tandem breakers can be installed wherever the panel schematic allows them. On some panels, that's the bottom. That's not necessarily the case on all panels. 

I was taught the descending size thing as well - big breakers at the top. But I've never found a source for that rule other than "that's how we've always done it." If I had asked a question like that when I was coming up, I would have received a smack on the head. My guess is that it's just a cultural habit descended from the old fuse panels and split bus panels, which were factory arranged with the large appliance circuits at the top and the "lighting" section at the bottom. Are you aware of an actual rule for this? 

I tend towards placing the heaviest loads at the top of the panel to reduce the voltage drop developed by surge currents. Such voltage drops will transmit all the way to the bottom of the bus bars but at least they're smaller, and less likely to cause annoying flickers in incandescent lamps. I've never heard of any rule regarding that.