Appliances under the microscope?

fqp25

I was wondering how much do other inspectors go into appliances. I can imagine each inspection might be a little different, especially for new construction and warranty inspections. But I'm wondering for the run of the mill pre-closing inspections.

I usually go for the dishwasher, and washing machine first. Microwaves not all the time. Stove tops of course but older model electric ovens I'm a little cautious. Trash compactors, I've only had the pleasure of 2, and they were both broken. How about your thoughts comments or opinions?

Thanks...

Originally posted by fqp25

I was wondering how much do other inspectors go into appliances. I can imagine each inspection might be a little different, especially for new construction and warranty inspections. But I'm wondering for the run of the mill pre-closing inspections.

I usually go for the dishwasher, and washing machine first. Microwaves not all the time. Stove tops of course but older model electric ovens I'm a little cautious. Trash compactors, I've only had the pleasure of 2, and they were both broken. How about your thoughts comments or opinions?

Thanks...

I test only the most basic functions of the following items and pretty much anything else that might stay with the house. That means running each item through a normal cycle to see if it does what it's supposed to do without leaking, exploding, or making too much smoke. I'm interested in determining whether or not something works, not how well it works. That's not possible in the context of a home inspection.

In the kitchen:

Range

Indoor grill

Fridge

Microwave

Disposer

Compactor

Insta hot

Plate warmer

Built in blender, can opener, etc.

Laundry room:

Washer (Unless it contains laundry)

Dryer

Built-in ironing board power & light.

Bedroom:

Sybian

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Run em. Make sure they don't make real bad noises or smell. Boilerplate in my inspection report that states I don't test each knob and button and I don't test the efficiency or capability of each appliance.

About the most extensive I do is usually open the toe-kick under the dishwasher - just two screws. Didn't used to do it and would like to stop but I can't justify stopping. I consistently find leaks, floor damage, rodent droppings or all three! Gives the client a nice assurance that I'm being as thorough as I can.