brochure creation

Does anyone know a simple way to create a custom brochure with their computer. Graphic design programs seem to be fine if so in a couple of words I'm talking full brochure. I set up a template in Word going 8 1/2 times 3.6. Unfortunately this can only be done in a text format. How can I turn this into JPEG format. Right now I am getting horribly mixed results by cutting and pasting into SERIF draw plus four. I use this to switch formats saved to (my pictures) then transfer to gimp. This is extremely time consuming with mixed results. Can anyone tell me what I am doing horribly wrong.[?] All the brochure templates I see online force you to use their style brochure.[?]]

Originally posted by chicago

Does anyone know a simple way to create a custom brochure with their computer. Graphic design programs seem to be fine if so in a couple of words I'm talking full brochure. I set up a template in Word going 8 1/2 times 3.6. Unfortunately this can only be done in a text format. How can I turn this into JPEG format. Right now I am getting horribly mixed results by cutting and pasting into SERIF draw plus four. I use this to switch formats saved to (my pictures) then transfer to gimp. This is extremely time consuming with mixed results. Can anyone tell me what I am doing horribly wrong.[?] All the brochure templates I see online force you to use their style brochure.[?]]

I have graphic artist. She designs beautiful things; I inspect houses.

Every business card, brochure and letterhead that I've seen designed by a home inspector looks wretched.

Hire a pro.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

While I agree 100% (well 99% as I'll explain) with hiring a person that does graphics for a living, I can understand the need to DIY for cost savings.

I haven't used it in a while but Microsoft Publisher is a very affordable graphics program that lets you do all kinds of layouts.

My best advice though, don't re-invent the wheel and try and do something 'cool' just to be cool. I'd find a brochure that I think looks good and just copy it. Can't go wrong if you're already doing something that you know will look good.

Thanks guys,but an opinion is not the same as an answer.Iam looking for a way to create a blank template with preset margins which can then be transfered to JPEG in order to adjust my graphics.IS this complex for a newbe or somthing easy.There must be some better way

I like the idea of guerilla marketing.And in todays competitive world it sure cant hurt to understand as much as you can.Not every Idea can wait for the printer.[:-graduat

Hi,

Have you looked at MS Office? I've got a 6-year old issue of MS Office Premium. I've never bothered to really look at it until you posted this question and I just went to my programs, clicked "New Office Document" and clicked "Brochure" and it opened right up to a 3-fold brochure template, complete with graphics, which I can do whatever I want with. As far as I can tell, it works exactly like any word processor program and I have the ability to import graphics and photos into it and use a variety of other formatting options. If you want your brochure to be JPEG, couldn't you create it in this program and then scan it and save it as a JPEG file or what about using a pdf converter program and converting the finished product?

I'm not very computer literate, but I bet I could produce a pretty nice brochure in about half an hour with that program and would be able to use whatever graphics I wanted to. Only problem is - I can't imagine that anything I would write would appeal to very many people from an advertising standpoint.

Just my two cents from a computer ignoramus, so if it doesn't provide an answer that's satisfactory, don't get too frustrated with my sticking my nose in where I'm not qualified to comment.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Thanks now that is what I am looking for. A few new ideas. As far as the Microsoft templates go I did look into that. These prefabricated templates are very limiting and that you must put your graphics where they want you to without having any control of placement. I just bought my first fax. It's a broadband fax, perhaps the idea of scanning then transferring to a JPEG file may have merit. Thanks again[:-graduat

Go over to UIC circle, NW, Roosevelt downtown, the 'tute, or wherever, and find a college student graphic artist. They're fine & dandy for this stuff.

That's what I did when I still had brochures. Cost me about $85.

By the time you get done messing around w/what you are not any good at anyway, you'll wish you'd just hired someone.

Shoot, even my local printer laid out a brochure for me once for about $50. Did a great job; they hire local college students for that stuff, put it all together on a Mac, & print it right there.

bobe,

Now to complicate things - seriously re-think the brochure thing. You will have better luck with a 35cent wood yo-yo with your name written on it in felt pen!

Before everyone goes nuts - take the time now as a new inspector to avoid the simple run of the mill stuff and emulate folks that have been around for awhile. You might just have to have brochures now, but plan for the future, next year, when you don't have nor need them.

Originally posted by Les

Now to complicate things - seriously re-think the brochure thing. You will have better luck with a 35cent wood yo-yo with your name written on it in felt pen!

That is very, very true. I haven't had brochures for about 15 years.

I ditched the idea when I walked into a realtor's office w/the idea of leaving brochures, they told me to go in the back & leave 'em there, so I walked back & found about 37 different inspection company brochures around the coffee machine. The primary use of the brochures appeared to be as mops & placemats for coffee cups.

Brochures won't get you squat. Lotta wasted time & money.

BTW, I like that yo-yo idea......

I'm pretty new in the Home Inspection Business. I found easy to use templates, and pretty cheap prices at Vista Print. I had some brochures printed and shipped to me, then they just started sending me special offers, and promotions. I just take advantage of those deals. order brochures 25 at a time, and just pay for shipping. Quality wise; well seems to me, to be about average.

Hi,

The franchise outfit that I used to be with had a trick to keeping the brochures out of the back room.

Instead of the broker, you go to the office manager/clerk/girl friday at the front desk, hand her a little 4 ounce box of chocolates and then ask nicely to be able to put your brochure stand right there on the counter over her desk.

If she turnes you down, smile nice, leave and then next time you stop off there do the same thing again, and again, each time looking a little injured, until she caves. Then don't forget to keep her stoked after that.

You never have to say a word to an actual realtor, and those brochures stay there out front where anyone stopping into the office sees your's but doesn't see the ones in the back.

It worked - at least for the 9 months that I was craven enough to do that, then I quit going in there altogether.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

We use the wood yo-yo on a five year cycle, just so it does not get "common place". It does work!

I buy them from Oriental Trading for abt 18 cents each. Some we sign, some we rubber stamp and some we customize on the spot for people "Love from your Home inspector".

Until you get a reputation, you must have a gimmic and a brochure is not a gimmic.

This discussion has been going on for at least 20yrs and folks have made millions of dollars printing brochures. Have you ever seen a brochure for an engineer, doctor, plumber, electrician or mime'?

If you are crazy enough to be in this business, then you should act crazy!

Someone in my area--wish I'd thought of it--had their info and logo printed on umbrellas that were handed out to RE companies. Don't wanna get caught in the rain? Pull an umbrella out of the stack by the front door on your way out. That way, people are snatching up a marketing device 'cause they need it, not just because it's there. Umbrellas are useful, too, so it'll likely remain in the car for a while.

Bain,

Just a little thinking gets some real results! I think most new inspectors forget the geometric effect one good contact has. Our marketing budget is broken down to approx 10% cards & crap, and 90% charity.

Here in Michigan we are in a depression and we are still eating (pork & beans)thanks only to referrals.

Hi,

I think if one intends to actively market to the real estate folks, it's got to be done in a way that will keep your name and phone number constantly in front of their faces. Les's yo-yo is one way, coffee cups or mouse pads with the name of your company and, most importantly, your phone number would be another. It's something that they won't toss and your number will always be there.

The public - I think having some decent artwork on your vehicle to attract a little attention works well. People will see your vehicle again and again and the name of your company will eventually stick in their mind. There's one electrical outfit around here that has their trucks attractively and tastefully 'branded.' When someone asks me if I know of any electrical contractors I immediately think of that company before I think about the one that's only about 50 yards from where I'm sitting and whose trucks I see constantly.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Put your name on your vehicle. I've gotten calls when I'm stuck in traffic.

"Hello, is this Kurt? I'm in the white Toyota 2 lanes over. Tell me about your business..."

I'm serious. Put your name on your truck & forget brochures.

I really like the umbrella idea too; very nice.