Sump pump question (or lack thereof)

Terence McCann

1st home I did in this development had a crock installed, pipes from foundation drainage system leading to it and an electrical outlet install right above the crock however, no pump. The lid was screwed on as well. I thought it might have been missed on original install but I did another home on the same street today with the same setup. Why go through all the work and then leave the sump pump out? Is there a system out there that is designed to work without a pump?

Augusta020.jpg

I have seen practically the same thing in some developments around my neck of the woods. One time I almost fell in an open pit that was covered up by the moisture barrier in a crawl space.

I think it is an oversight from the builder or plumber. Or maybe it's a result of being cheap to lower the bottom line, and the installation of a pump would fall onto the home buyer. Either way it's crappy workmanship, in my book...

Mark they are disposers!

I see hundreds of sumps without pumps. Usually no reason for pump, so why put one in!

I have two homes with sumps and no pumps. One on a small lake and gravity does the job as Chad said and the other just drains into a bar ditch. Put a screen over the incoming pipe and keep your fishin minnies happy.

I agree that if the sump is draining there is no need for a pump... if it is draining. I would like to see the water table lower that what is APPEARS to be in the photo.

Of course, there is the possibility that in the pic, something happened to quickly fill the sump and the drainage did not yet catch up.

Upon a closer look at the pic, there appears to be what looks like black corregated flex tubing. (from 6 to 9 oclock) The water level seems to be the bottom of the tube. There is a chance that the tube is peforated and allowing the water to drain out elsewhere.

Terry,

All new construction in our area has required foundation drainage and many jurisdictions require drainage and sump for approx 18yrs.

Lots of new construction is built on engineered fill so drainage is usually dealt with at inception.