Tool Vest

randynavarro

I use a vest, I hate running back to the kitchen or to my truck. The best search word to use is Concealment Vest because that is what they are. 5.11 Tactical or Sig Tac make the best they are designed for firearms and everything else you may want to carry and sometimes that is what you might find in mine, but usually its just tools and I find them invaluable and really compensate for my bad memory.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by kurt

I will grudgingly concede Skillers vest is nice; very, very nice.

What the heck is someone carrying around all the time that would require a vest or tool belt?

I agree it's a great looking vest, but it reminds me of my old back packing days. I was always looking, and buying bigger and bigger back packs, then one day I realized that no matter how big a Pack I had, it was always full, usually with stuff I really didn't need. Today I don't do the long trips I used to, but I have the same "bigger is better" problem now with Sailboats.....Just a couple of feet longer just has to be better.

During inspections I used to carry everything I could on my belt, now almost everything is in a tool bag, and I have a special bag with a drawstring closure for dragging into crawlspaces, and life is easier.

Just a couple of thoughts here. Although the idea of carrying everything possible in a vest is neat, I really don't like the idea. First, the more you carry, the greater the chance of it getting lost or broken. Things can fall out of a vest especially when you are contorting to get into certain spaces. They also can be crushed or broken. I've also had a history of battery powered items getting turned on while in a vest and then when I need it, it's dead.

On the flip side, although it is a bit of acting (otherwise known as marketing), returning to the kitchen to fetch a tool demonstrates work done. My routine includes tool swaps. My tool belt is small so it can't carry everything. Thus, as I rotate areas, Kitchen, Roof, Attic, Crawlspace etc, I swap out tools from the belt to the tool bag. The client sees the different tools going in and out of the belt and gets the feeling of a more complete inspection. Remember, no matter how you inspect, if the client "thinks" you barely did anything, thats all that matters.

I also carry a few items in my bag such as breaker covers or panel plugs. I purposely leave them in the bag. When I find a panel missing with a panel plug missing for example (and no other problems), instead of writing it up, I place a new plug in it's place. By returning the to kitchen, grabbing one from the bag, tossing it in the air once for good measure, the customer and Realtors take notice. If they ask, I reply "well I can put this in (free of charge, thus it's not a paid repair) or I can write it up as a discrepancy". NOTE: I don't do anything thats requires real work, like fixing a wire connection or seal leaking pipes. If I used a vest to carry these items, no one would take note thus it is a wasted marketing venture.