irregardless

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing wrong with "pilaster."

Are we demonstrating here that I was right when I said all HIs should have to take a basic architectural history course?

When in the presence of rubes, I have purposely referred to corbels as gerbils, just to see if anybody caught on. Nobody did. Or, I guess they could've walked off saying, "did you hear that guy keep calling corbels gerbils?"

WJ

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

There's nothing wrong with "pilaster."

Are we demonstrating here that I was right when I said all HIs should have to take a basic architectural history course?

When in the presence of rubes, I have purposely referred to corbels as gerbils, just to see if anybody caught on. Nobody did. Or, I guess they could've walked off saying, "did you hear that guy keep calling corbels gerbils?"

WJ

Hi Walter,

There isn't anything wrong with "pilaster". It's an ornamental projection simulating a column. It's not a structural component. I've read a dozen reports that used pilaster to describe a buttress or engaged column.

Buss is also a word but is also used incorrectly in many reports. Buss bars are where feminine men hang out.

Just as I purposely call corbels gerbils, I sometimes, in the presence of rubes, call condominiums kinda-minimums. And I act like I mean it.

Cain't take me nowhere,

WJ (incorrigible)

PS: Thanks to the brother who mentioned "columnade." Just this morning, I was trying to remember what to call that decorative woodwork between my LR and DR.

Has anyone else noticed the particular direction toward which Jim sometimes drifts? I still vividly remember a thread in which he stated that he always checks out the sybian. I recall sitting at my computer, imagining a complete stranger examining a sybian for proper operation.

Let's hope that unlike my dishwasher, there are no problems with the sybians once Jim has performed his . . . uh, tests.

• 2 weeks later...

People mix these together all the time. I'm not sure there is an 'official' difference, but I usually hear experienced people use sheathing to refer to OSB, plywood, etc. and sheeting to refer to materials like felt and plastic.

I don't really care since people usually say something like plywood sheathing or plastic sheeting anyway.

Well,

Sheathing forms a hard protective "sheath" around the house. Sheeting is a lightweight sheet of a usually temporary material used to protect it from rain, etc., so I think there is an actual difference.

I saved you from Chad in your post Gary. Can you guess which word it was?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...