irregardless

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lentil for lintel.

Corbel (lots of imaginative ways to spell that one.)

Coin for quoin.

Dinning room for dining room. (90% of electricians seem to use that one.)

One inspector told me he had a physical responsibility to his clients. (I think he meant fiscal, though I suppose if he were really committed . . .)

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Bonnie Trenga

Irregardless is definitely not a word!

Hi Bonnie,

I've always suspected that the person that started that was a person who was very spelling challenged, looked in a dictionary for a word to use in place of irrespective, saw the word regardless, and then incorrectly wrote down irregardless instead. After that, this person continued to use the word and spread it's incorrect usage.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

manufacture for manufacturer

cite vs. site vs. sight

door "jam"

"lathe" for lath.

"observed" when "saw" would be better

"It was noted that..."

"Recommend replacement of..." (How hard is it to type, "I"?

"Suggest repair..." (See above. Also, an HI should have the courage to recommend rather than suggest.)

"Consult with owner..."

"XYZ is present..."

leaving esses off the end of plural words, as one see in Japanese technical writing

"your" right (as opposed to you're right)

any fuzzy word or phrase commonly used by HIs to soften up reports, even though everybody with an IQ over 50 knows weaselspeak when he sees it. For instance: potential, suspected, possible, appears to be, moisture (sounds so much better than water).

Anything written in passive voice.

Things that should be written in present tense (plumbing is copper) written in the past tense (plumbing was copper).

Saying the same thing over and over, or worse, halfway explaining something, then starting to re-explain, right in the same sentence.

And my favorite pet peeve: "The Inspector." When every-dang-body knows exactly who the inspector is.

There is so much more...

Finally, a subjective opinion: Customers notice bad spelling and bad writing, and they start to doubt the writer's credibility as soon as they recognize the problem(s). Don't think for a minute that they don't.

WJ

Originally posted by Darren

Chad;

The 2006 NJ IRC (R407) has a whole section on 'Columns' in the foundation section.

The way I read it, columns are under to support the girder or main beam.

www.aboutthehouseinspections.com

Darren

Hi Darren, NY's version of the IRC also refers to vertical supports as columns. I was guessing, I admit it.

I know it's "picky une" /picayune, but the etymology of the two words suggests that pillar is far more appropriate than column.