under the sink gizmo that processes food

Chad Fabry

It is a disposer. Disposal is a word owned by ISE. I had a letter in my files from early 90's from ISE demanding I change my forms and refrain from using the word. A flood of 2004 destroyed that letter, but rest assured they own the word.

I do not think you could get into any serious trouble because it falls into the realm of Kleenex, Coke, Ajax, etc.

I have a difficult time with Wikipedia and words.

Hi Les,

Yeah, I've heard you tell that story before, but the simple fact is that if ISE isn't doing anything to enforce it, like going after every company that uses 'garbage disposal' as a key word on search engines to drive consumers to their pages, then they're going to lose it.

By the way, growing up in the 1950's we didn't have one. My mother used to tell my Dad she'd like to get a garbage disposal. She never said, "I'd like to get one of those nice new In-Sink-Erator Garbage disposals," but she used to say things like, "Frigidaire makes a better refrigerator" and stuff like that. Maybe in the early 90's they were trying to figuratively flex their muscles with the word but since the internet explosion I think trying to enforce that is going to be like pissing into the wind. They'll only soil themselves by trying.

My opinion, worth the price charged.

By the way, got a dress to go with those pumps?

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi Les,

Yeah, I've heard you tell that story before, but the simple fact is that if ISE isn't doing anything to enforce it, like going after every company that uses 'garbage disposal' as a key word on search engines to drive consumers to their pages, then they're going to lose it.

By the way, growing up in the 1950's we didn't have one. My mother used to tell my Dad she'd like to get a garbage disposal. She never said, "I'd like to get one of those nice new In-Sink-Erator Garbage disposals," but she used to say things like, "Frigidaire makes a better refrigerator" and stuff like that. Maybe in the early 90's they were trying to figuratively flex their muscles with the word but since the internet explosion I think trying to enforce that is going to be like pissing into the wind. They'll only soil themselves by trying.

My opinion, worth the price charged.

By the way, got a dress to go with those pumps?

OT - OF!!!

M.

I think Chad F is trying to teach words that are technically correct. Disposol is an abberation of dispose or an adj - disposer. Kinda like Kleenex for a facial tissue.

I think you are right about ISE. Lots of folks call the disposer an Insinkerator(sp). And they pioneered reversing, sound insulation, flex cutters, on-board switch, stainless grates, etc. Shoot for decades you could not even have one in New York City!

As an aside, because of my fashion sense, I have been blessed with lots of threats and personal visits from major corps regarding my opinions and use of words. I had a major insulation company spend tens of thousands of dollars trying to make me keep my opinions about fiberboard ductwork to myself. The point is, I never would teach a new inspector stuff about my opinion. There is a very fine line between facts and opinion based on conditions on-site.

I think Gas-tite has the right idea when they went on the road and taught folks how to use their product and then tested and licensed them to buy and use it. You and I both know most CSST is done wrong and the inspection industry is frought with myth.

Main Entry: dis·pos·al

Pronunciation: di-'spO-z&l

Function: noun

1 : the power or authority to dispose or make use of as one chooses

2 : the act or process of disposing : as a : orderly placement or distribution b : REGULATION, ADMINISTRATION c : the act or action of presenting or bestowing something d : systematic destruction; especially : destruction or transformation of garbage

3 [garbage disposal unit] : a device used to reduce waste matter (as by grinding)

I like mechanical pig better.

I spent three hours on this between 4am and 7 am this morning.

So far, I think the most widely accepted and understood term is "garbage disposal". I can't find any evidence that the term is owned by ISE.

I've called them and am awaiting a return call from their marketing/legal departments.

I'll let y'all know when I do.

Wow, and I thought I needed a life.

Yeah man, tell me about it. I not only spent three hours researching it, but I actually enjoyed myself. .

Now that's really pathetic.

You should have been around me when I was trying to figure out the perfect entasis for window trim on a Greek Revival restoration...that was really a blast.

One thing though, the effort I put into understanding words enables me to write reports with no passive voice using complete sentences that are readable and interesting. Heck, sometimes my reports are fun to read. Even with that accomplished, I'd like to be a better writer. I'd like to be better looking. I'd like more hair.

Originally posted by Les

It is a disposer. Disposal is a word owned by ISE. I had a letter in my files from early 90's from ISE demanding I change my forms and refrain from using the word. A flood of 2004 destroyed that letter, but rest assured they own the word.

Is it possible the letter was from GE regarding their registered trademark Disposall ? (Note the extra "L")