How could you make this worse?

Richard Moore

2 year old, 3000sf home today. Very few issues, and no other electrical problems, but this, under a kitchen island sink, is a classic.

The face up receptacle is bad enough, especially in an area where stuff get tossed in, but it took a real "genius" to position it directly under the trap!

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif stupidreceptacle.jpg

127.24 KB

"Honey, I've dropped my ring down the sink. Would you mind electrocuting yourself again?"

Originally posted by randynavarro

Originally posted by Jesse

Looking at that picture, I'd expect that there'd be a lot more than a few issues in that house.

Jesse,

What other issues are you thinking of?

The waste line materials used lead me to believe they weren't installed by an actual plumber. The house is only two years old, so it's probably original. The receptacle, as noted in the original post, is face-up, which I wouldn't expect a decent electrician to do. So a non-plumber did some plumbing, a non-electrician did some electric... See where I'm going, Randy? No specific issues, just a heightened index of suspicion.

Chad...I saw somewhere else recently that there is now a black, regular AAV...can't remember the brand. But, what I think you are looking at is the adaptor. I don't have a picture of the actual AAV on top of that but I know it looked quite normal and definitely not the mechanical type.

(Added after a search)...Check out this site http://www.ayrlett.com/ . Just to make our lives difficult Ayrlett makes a black ABS AAV.

Hi Jim,

I can't say I've ever looked for the code. In part, I'm paid for my common sense, and, for me, that's enough in this situation under a kitchen sink (even without the drain issue) no matter what the good book says.

If it was at the back of a cabinet used for long term, bulk, dry storage I might not be very excited about it but I would probably still recommend covering the unused slots. But, I can't say I've seen that, so I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

Originally posted by Richard Moore

Hi Jim,

I can't say I've ever looked for the code. In part, I'm paid for my common sense, and, for me, that's enough in this situation under a kitchen sink (even without the drain issue) no matter what the good book says.

I don't dispute that it's a poor location for a receptacle. I'm simply wondering if anyone knows of a code reference that prohibits it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Richard Moore

Now you made me look!

The only thing I can find is 406.4(E). "Receptacles shall not be installed in a face-up position in countertops or similar work surfaces."

I can't find anything on inside a cabinet in particular but you can't expect any code book to foresee all situations, especially the more bizarre ones.

I've never been able to find a prohibition against this either. Would it be alright with you if I posted your picture on Mike Holt's forum and asked them for feedback?

- Jim Katen, Oregon