Flashlight Shootout Part 2

hausdok

By Rick Bunzel, CRI (Original published in the NAHI Forum December 2006 and used by permission of the author)

In last week's flashlight shootout we were disappointed with the LED flashlights that we tried. Granted, some of those lights were from Wal-Mart and Ebay, but the performance of those lights wasn’t even close to what a home inspector would need. Recently I have found products from Maglite and TerraLux that are worth considering. Both companies are taking advantage of the huge installed base of Maglite’s and are now making LED modules that replace the existing bulbs.

20071026184454_BunzelBulb1.jpg

Flashlight LED replacement bulbs are solid state "Light Emitting Diodes" that replace the old filament bulb in flashlights. The LED is ideal because it draws less current, is energy efficient, saves on batteries, is more rugged, produces whiter light, is very reliable, and, in most flashlight applications, never needs to be replaced. Older LED technology did not produce much light and manufacturers would cluster multiple LEDs to create a brighter light. Today’s LEDs are extremely bright by comparison.

20071026184825_BunzelBulb2.jpgRob Rich from MEI Research (meiresearch.com) was kind enough to send us a 3 cell MagLite with the 3 watt Mag-LED upgrade module. The Mag-LED modules are drop-in replacements that serve as Maglite's entry into the LED market. They are available in 2, 3, or 4 cell (C or D) configurations. The conversion was as simple as replacing the bulb. Initially the biggest difference that you notice is the color of the light. Normal lights produce a yellowish hue, while the LED produces a distinct white-blue light. To test this light, I parked my Ultra-Stinger and used the Mag-LED for my inspections. It does take a little getting used to the difference in the color of the light. The reach and focus were not in the same league as the Ultra-Stinger but were still acceptable. One of the nice features is battery life; I have used this light daily for over a month and there was no difference in the quality of the light output.

TerraLUX is another supplier of high-end LED upgrades. They are from Boulder, Co. (my old neighborhood) and use the leading edge LED components to produce superior performing products. They sent us upgrade products for a 3 cell Maglite as well as a Mini-Maglite.

20071026185255_BunzelBulb3.jpg

The MaxStar5 is a 5 watt Luxeon LED bulb replacement for the 3 cell MagLite. Installation was as easy as the MagLite LED. The MaxStar5 produces approximately 100-135 Lumens. You can focus the beam, but not as tightly as the standard bulb. The output was slightly brighter than the MagLite LED.

For Mini Maglite owners the TerraLUX TLE-5 1watt LED Replacement is a must have. This bulb replacement produces 50 Lumens and is a disk with a circuit board and a side-emitting Luxeon Star LED perched on top. Underneath are two pins for installation in the MiniMag bulb socket. This converted my MiniMag into a light comparable to a Streamlight Luxeon Jr. As with the other LED replacement products; it doubles battery runtime to 7 to 9 hours.

I was impressed with these products and, given the benefits of the LED, I think that the days of the incandescent bulb are numbered. LEDs use less energy, are shock resistant and have much longer bulb life. The 3 cell MagLite with MaxStar5 will be staying in my truck as my backup light, as it still is not in the same class as my UltraStinger. For the beginning budget- conscious inspector, this MagLite with the LED is a good choice, as it can purchased from MEI Research’s website for around $30.00. The MiniMag LED upgrade from TerraLux is another great product. The MinMag light is a good product with bright light and the TerraLux upgrade just makes it better.

####

Sources:

MEI Research 1-800-819-8245

TerraLux 866-498-1564

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

20071026191421_RickBunzel.jpg

Rick Bunzel, Pacific Crest Inspections, Anacortes, Wa is a NAHI CRI member, Chairman of the NAHI Public Relations Committee and member of the NAHI Web committee.

sorry I missed the shootout but would like to state that I have an 92 led flashlight that I use exclusively as the lumen output is fantastic.I know many led's have a problem with distance but do last a long time with a halve life of around five years or so. Yes I have done some research on them in the past as I was looking to use them as a Neon light substitute. I used to produce Neon signs back in the eighties.

Back to subject another advantage led's have over a traditional bulb flashlight is that there is no dead area of shadow. If you shine a traditional flashlight against a wall you will notice a shadow in dead center caused by the bulbs filliment. Led's also have an advantage in creating a better color contrast which helps during inspection. So do not give up on leds just yet as there are some good ones out there.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I found this article very informative and was wondering if anyone has looked at the Fenix flashlights (I'm articularly interested in the LD20 for inspections).

Thanks,

-Haniel

Oh youbetcha - use the search function of the forum to goldmine a lot of discussions regarding the TK-11.

Side note - just tried the search function and it's really slllooooooowwwww.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had on my todo list for several months to update my flashlight shootout article. There are several good lights out there and the LED tech is getting better and better. One area I see the Fenix lights lacking is the ability to charge the flashlight with out disassembling it. This is one of the things that keeps the Streamlights and Maglight in the hunt. I have chargers in my car and garage that I just clip the lights into. IMHO this is a must have for a working flashlight.

//Rick

Hi Rick,

Good point. I have a 15-minute rapid charger for 4 AA in my car and plenty of AA batteries with me. How good are the chargers for the streamlight and maglight? Could waterproofing of the flashlight have something to do with it?

-Haniel

This is one of the things that keeps the Streamlights and Maglight in the hunt. I have chargers in my car and garage that I just clip the lights into. IMHO this is a must have for a working flashlight.

Yeah, buttt.............

Can you use off the shelf back up batteries with those flashlights, assuming you are talking about the re- chargeable ones? I have 2 batteries for my Fenix. I take one out of the truck at a time for charging purposes, so I've always got a functional flashlight. I never take the flashlight out of the truck at home that way, so there's no way to forget it. If for some reason I ever needed a second battery in a day, which has never happened, I could just pick some up at any store.

I've never had a problem with having to pull the batteries to charge them. Anyone else?

I prefer being able to swap out batteries. I find it more convenient to keep a fully charged back up battery rather than needing a back up flashlight.

-B

What happens if the switch craps out? Do you have a backup?

I keep two indentical flashlights with interchangable bulbs and batteries. Next time I buy bulbs I am going to try the upgrades.