A Chicago H.I. Takes Offense to Term "Certified"

hausdok

Originally posted by pete moss

name is as real as chad fabry

Then kindly fill out your profile to the point where one can confirm who you are, as Chad and the rest of us have long since done. Until then you're just a heckler standing back in the shadows.

Brian G.

Hecklers Contribute Nothing [:-taped]

Originally posted by Brian G

Originally posted by hausdok

What some are saying is that they'd rather that TIJ not get involved in anything controversial - that we just stay quiet.

Speaking only for myself, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying if you're going to post something that's sure to cause an uproar and offend some people, it should be worth the fallout. By now no one could possibly have any illusions about what's going to happen when anti-org opinion piece gets posted, whatever org it is. These things go round and round, nothing is resolved, and useful people walk away.

Hey, it's no skin off my nose either way. I don't own TIJ and I'm not going anywhere, even if there were a new piece every week kicking my personal org. As long as it was true and worthwhile, I'd put my boots on and join in.

Brian G.

Trying to ignore Mr. “Mossâ€

Originally posted by Richard Moore

[br I don't think that means I have a closed mind...does it?

Not at all. But, a lot of this thread sounds like the Building Science forum over @ JLC. Same small bunch of old guys grumping about folks talking about things that lots and lots of folks aren't aware of. I've seen a lot of posts @ JLC that are, at base, elementary stuff, and it's all shot down by the grumps, not responded to, or otherwise dissed by the same sorts of kvetching as Mike's little link. What's old boring stuff to us is still brand new and full of wonderment for big bunches of folks.

Similar links & talk over @ IN or Nick's Room get some folks that are interested, and they talk it over. Try that here, and the same folks grump it out.

Make a little room for all those folks that don't post; there's a lot of them. If we don't, this place will get as uptight & stuffed as the JLC forum.

In his letter Rick may have been better off if he had asked the editor who these "experts" were who recommended the use a "Certified" Home Inspector instead of a Licensed Home Inspector like the Illinois Law requires. He might also have pointed out that one of these "experts" appeared to be Nick Gromicko, the founder and sole voice of an Association based on the word "Certified".

Instead of claiming that a 12 year old could pass InterNachi's online exam, which, easy as it is, I doubt, he could have pointed out that a 12 year old or a TV News reporter could become a Certified Home Inspector by having someone else take the test or aid them in passing it. True as Gromicko says, that is fraud, yet he has no provisions in his requirements to prevent such fraud, thereby making the term Certified Home Inspector meaningless.

"licensed" would have been a much more appropriate word for the "Experts" to have used.

Personally I don't like the Daily Herald which serves my area. I am familiar with Rick Mattern's involvements though I do not know him even though he is in my immediate area. I don't see the significance of his response or understand why the paper published it.

I do think that Mike was correct for sharing it here. No matter how I regard the information, being aware of it has value to me in its own minuscule way.

Mike just linked us to something that was in a paper with moderate circulation. That's it. I appreciate it. I'm glad I know that it's out there. Rick said that a lot of us don't have adequate qualifications or training to do the job. That does damage to all of us, certified, licensed, or blessed by the Dalai Lama. It's good to know what we're up against.

Mike didn't say anything in this thread to imply he supported what Rick was saying.