draft spillage

John Dirks Jr

I didn't check with a lighter. This picture was taken long after startup. I was trying to determine if it was backdrafting.

Heres where it enters the chimney next to the flue from the induced draft furnace. Is there anything wrong here?

The furnace was not running when the mirror picture was taken.

Image Insert:

2008412162915_HPIM1293.jpg

112.78 KB

Originally posted by AHI

I didn't check with a lighter. This picture was taken long after startup. I was trying to determine if it was backdrafting.

Heres where it enters the chimney next to the flue from the induced draft furnace. Is there anything wrong here?

The furnace was not running when the mirror picture was taken.

I'd call that backdrafting.

What's with the weird plumbing fitting in the foreground of the picture. It looks like a knurled female garden hose fitting.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I am supposed to know what I'm looing at and I can't call that backdrafting. I don't like the metal tape on the flue and I'd be quite suspect about the flue to chimney connection.

The weird fitting likely is from a non-potable water device and would not have any NSF or ul approval.

skilled homeowner installation

I put my hand in front of the draft hood and feel for the heat backing up, and the draft hood will be hot. I don't use a mirror.

The exhaust vent/flue for the smaller appliance should be located above the larger one, but it may not affect the drafting.

That looks like an older house, with the clay tile on the left. What's the condition of the chimney flue?

The clay lined masonry chimney flue was in good condition. The still picture doesn't really document the spillage as well as seeing it happen. The fogged area was continually moving and and fluctuating in size as it danced across the surface of the mirror.

The still picture just shows one exact point in time. As I watched it, it was a live, continuing and constantly moving event.

Maybe the pipe is shoved too far into the chimney and causing partial blocking.

Originally posted by AHI

Section G2426.5.6.2 states "If two or more openings are provided into one chimney flue, they shall be at different levels."

Mike M

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought the match test is the recommended test per manufacturer. I know I read it and I have been thinking I read it from more than one manufacturer (Like the 2 by 4 test for garage door opener reverse safety).

I'm going to look into this tonight to make sure.

Update:

I looked up a couple of manufacturers and it's written to use a match (or lighter) to determine if a good draft exist. Do what you want but I would use this method since you have written proof on how to check for draft so if somebody questions it (like the seller, listing agent or the worst, a lawyer) then you have the manufacturer to back you up.[^]