Vermiculite Removal Cost

You might want to have that tested for asbestos before you start looking for quotes for removal. Just because it is vermiculite does not necessarily mean that it does contain asbestos, only that it could.

Have no clue about removal costs.

Originally posted by Mike Lamb

What does it cost to remove vermiculite from an attic by someone who is asbestos competent and licensed to do such a thing?

I have priced asbestos pipe insulation and floor tile removal but not vermic.

In Portland, OR, it's about $5 - $8 per square foot.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by jon_ran

You might want to have that tested for asbestos before you start looking for quotes for removal. Just because it is vermiculite does not necessarily mean that it does contain asbestos, only that it could.

See http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/pubs/insula ... chure2.pdf .

In particular...

Currently, there are specific technical issues

involving vermiculite sampling that can complicate

testing for the presence of asbestos fibers and

interpreting the risk from exposure. EPA and

ATSDR are not recommending at this time that

homeowners have vermiculite attic insulation tested

for asbestos. As testing techniques are refined,

EPA and ATSDR will provide information to the

public on the benefits of testing that produce more

definitive and accurate test results.

I believe the problem is that testing can tell that there is asbestos present, but it cannot reliably determine that it is not. Some samples may not show asbestos but it might still be present in other areas or layers. My understanding is that it is best to just assume that it does and take the appropriate precautions.

Jim...is that price per square foot or cubic foot?

Originally posted by Richard Moore

Jim...is that price per square foot or cubic foot?

According to my notes, it's per square foot from an attic. The guy that I was talking to said that the price varied from about $5 to about $8 depending on how deep it was and on how much of a pain in the butt it was to work in the attic; tall attics were cheaper than little, short attics that you have to crawl through. He also said that they can't use vacuum trucks anymore. They have to scoop it out by hand.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I believe the problem is that testing can tell that there is asbestos present, but it cannot reliably determine that it is not. Some samples may not show asbestos but it might still be present in other areas or layers. My understanding is that it is best to just assume that it does and take the appropriate precautions.

Thanks for that publication. I guess that it would make sense that a false negative for asbestos would be highly likely.

Time to modify my boiler...

Originally posted by jon_ran

Thanks for that publication. I guess that it would make sense that a false negative for asbestos would be highly likely.

Time to modify my boiler...

We just discussed this recently. www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5379

Originally posted by Mike Lamb

I talked to several locals today and the loosy goosie ballparky quotes were in the $4 to $7 per sq. ft. $500 to $1,500 minimum.

One guy told me without any specifics between $500 and $10,000.

Now, that is one helluva ballpark! Does he work for the government?