Why would some one do this?

Phillip

Originally posted by pfelber

It looks like a piece of SBS over an old Chimney hole. Could there have been Chimney coming through it at one time?

The house was built in 1950, I could not get into the attic to see. Someone had installed cabinets that blocked the access to the attic.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by David C. Argabright

Where are the roof vents? Is it possible they had a ridge vent installed on the short peak which started leaking? Did they remove the vent and cover the area with the rubber material to close it off? Or did they leave the opening to install a vent at a later time and just never got around to it?

There are ridge vents on the rest of the house.

The roof was about three years old and the owner did not know why it was done. They had only been there 2 years.

I don't know what repair was done after I inspected it.

Originally posted by msteger

I don't try to figure out why someone did something when I see really odd things.. or else I may drive myself crazy. ;-)

Oh...that's no fun at all! [;)]

Had something similar to Phillip a few weeks ago. Small house from 1900 with newer "wings". The original simple square house was, maybe, 700sf. The framed hole in the roof appeared to be original, but too big for a chimney (apprx 4x8'). The clients and I decided it used to be a bell-tower for a school-house or, perhaps, a small chapel.

The MLS blurb said the place was "historic" but didn't give any further details. That might have been referring to the plumbing and wiring!

Image Insert:

2008623151137_080609Ss.jpg

124.54 KB

Image Insert:

2008623151218_080609S037s.jpg

140.84 KB

Image Insert:

2008623151258_080609S096s.jpg

107.68 KB

Maybe it was an older kind of attic fan.

I have seen two different installations of huge (approx 4' diameter) fans that were mounted in attics over big, louvered ceiling openings. At the ridge was a huge sheet metal structure with a metal shroud that would lift away in a rotary fashion powered by a big electric motor.

Hi,

I think that with either house this might be a situation where there'd been roof cresting and it's been removed. I've seen plenty of old photos of early 20th century houses and bungalows in the Seattle vicinity and more than a few of them featured cresting - especially on hip roofs. How old was that house, Philip?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

P.S.

Whoops, I went back to read the thread and now see that it was built in 1950. Not sure if there would have ever been cresting used on a roof around that time where you are, Philip, but we wouldn't have seen it here.