Another damaged roof question

Mark P

I found this interesting. This house was from a few daze ago. Only 8 years old. I just wrote it up as needing all the ridge caps replaced. The pictures pretty much say it all. The higher I went the worse the damage got, but only to the ridges. Any theories on why they are so worn?

Image Insert:

2008719191837_4.jpg

57.29 KB

Image Insert:

2008719191851_1.jpg

73.7 KB

Image Insert:

2008719191912_2.jpg

83.47 KB

Image Insert:

2008719191928_3.jpg

94.25 KB

Freaky! If it were stress from bending most of the damage would be around the peak of the bend, not so evenly spread. If it were bird droppings we would see this kind of thing all of the time, and the damage wouldn't be tightly restricted to the caps.

The shingles are architectural, but the caps are plain-Jane's. I'd say either the caps are factory-defectives or the sorriest, cheapest things the roofer could lay his hands on. My money is on defectives. I don't know if even cheapo shingles would deteriorate that much in just 8 years.

Brian G.

It is Recommended to Monitor the Cap Shingles [:-slaphap[;)][:P][:-tong2][:-dev3][:-boggled[:-mischie