Step flashing versa J type flashing

old Marine

Well, the builder won't replace the J channel with step flashing, he will only perform minor repairs to the roof flashing - such as repairing the flashing in the picture with the valley.

One concern that came up with the shingles directly over the lip of the J channel flashing is the possibility of the shingles breaking in the Houston heat as they expand and contract. Are there any minor changes that can be made to keep this from happening?

No, there aren't. Not that it's a real risk.

Look, in other parts of the country, that detail would be considered absurdly wrong. In my area, for instance, all of the other roofers would laugh at it and call your roofer mean names. But in your part of the country, that's just the way that they do it. It's not ideal, but it seems to work. You're not going to make it better by trying to get him to do something that he doesn't know how to do. It wouldn't work and it would end badly.

Think of it this way: people in your part of the country talk funny. If I were to say, "You know, Buster, I can't understand most of what you say. From now on, could you please talk with a northern accent," that would not end well either. You're asking your builder to build with a northern accent when he only knows how to build with a southern accent.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True about accents, but also keep in mind that my inspector comes from the same locale as the builder. I would believe my inspector over the builder, but here I maybe at the mercy of the latest low cost building practices.

The builder sent me a bunch of documents yesterday showing where there are clauses in the code which allow for alternate flashing methods, if they're installed 'properly'

True about accents, but also keep in mind that my inspector comes from the same locale as the builder. I would believe my inspector over the builder, but here I maybe at the mercy of the latest low cost building practices.

Dang uppity inspectors.

The builder sent me a bunch of documents yesterday showing where there are clauses in the code which allow for alternate flashing methods, if they're installed 'properly'

Please post that information.

R104.11 Alternative materials, design and methods of construction and equipment.

The provisions of this code are not intended to prevent the installation of any material or to prohibit any design or method of construction not specifically prescribed by this code, provided that any such alternative has been approved. An alternative material, design or method of construction shall be approved where the building official finds that the proposed design is satisfactory and complies with the intent of the provisions of this code, and that the material, method or work offered is, for the purpose intended, at least the equivalent of that prescribed in this code. Compliance with the specific performance-based provisions of the International Codes in lieu of specific requirements of this code shall also be permitted as an alternate.

They have change the code

R905.2.8.3 Sidewall flashing.

Base flashing against a vertical sidewall shall be continuous or step flashing and shall be a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) in height and 4 inches (102 mm) in width and shall direct water away from the vertical sidewall onto the roof and/or into the gutter. Where siding is provided on the vertical sidewall, the vertical leg of the flashing shall be continuous under the siding. Where anchored masonry veneer is provided on the vertical sidewall, the base flashing shall be provided in accordance with this section and counterflashing shall be provided in accordance with Section R703.7.2.2. Where exterior plaster or adhered masonry veneer is provided on the vertical sidewall, the base flashing shall be provided in accordance with this section and Section R703.6.3.

Base flashing against a vertical sidewall shall be continuous or step flashing and shall be a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) in height and 4 inches (102 mm) in width and shall direct water away from the vertical sidewall onto the roof and/or into the gutter. Where siding is provided on the vertical sidewall, the vertical leg of the flashing shall be continuous under the siding. Where anchored masonry veneer is provided on the vertical sidewall, the base flashing shall be provided in accordance with this section and counterflashing shall be provided in accordance with Section R703.7.2.2. Where exterior plaster or adhered masonry veneer is provided on the vertical sidewall, the base flashing shall be provided in accordance with this section and Section R703.6.3.

Of course, all of that is superceded by this:

905.1 . . . Roof assemblies shall be applied in accordance with this chapter and the manufacturer's installation instructions. . . "

905.1 . . . Roof assemblies shall be applied in accordance with this chapter and the manufacturer's installation instructions. . . "

Doesn't it make a difference that it says roof assemblies instead of roof covering?

Marc

Jim,

How many AHJs reads the manufacturer's installation instructions. Very few do. Most builders are not going to do more than what the AHJ makes them do.

Doesn't it make a difference that it says roof assemblies instead of roof covering?

Marc

"Assembly" encompasses all parts of the roof installation, including the shingles. The shingles come with installation instructions that call for step flashing, not continuous flashing.

. . . Jim,

How many AHJs reads the manufacturer's installation instructions. Very few do. Most builders are not going to do more than what the AHJ makes them do.

Very true. And that might have a effect on the way that a home inspector reports on this stuff. However, it doesn't change the actual requirement.

Just to clarify, Oregon hasn't yet adopted the 2012 IRC. Our present version is from the 2009 IRC, which didn't mention continuous flashing.

I don't have access to the IRC, just the ORSC.

Do some states adopt the 2012 IRC as soon as it comes out? Did the continuous flashing wording just get slapped in w/ the 2012 IRC? If so, I wonder what made them add that crap?

Thanks Phillip,

You wouldn't happen to have a list showing which states use which code cycle would you?

Brandon,

Try this URL ... www.iccsafe.org/gr/pages/adoptions.aspx

The link seems to go "high & dry" from inside this post (at least on my 'puter) ... dunno why. Just copy/paste into a new browser tab.

If you right click on the URL just click on 'open in a new tab' and you should be good to go.

Thanks Nolan.

After a quick glance at the states, I don't see any that have adopted the 2012 yet. It looks like TX is still under the 2000 version of the IRC.

Brandon,

I believe that is incorrect as the Texas State Legislature handles such every other year and two years ago (if I recall correctly) they adopted the 2006 for the "state". I'll dig into that and see if I can refresh my gray matter.

Of course each AHJ does their own thing and most are at the 2006 or 2009 version.