New member w/question

I have been in the HVAC industry for over twenty years. I purchased the duct blaster, took in a visit at the site (web site) and noticed they had a software package that allows you to prepare a packet for the client. I have purchased software form vendors in the past and it's either costly and/or has a maintenance fee attached. I was simply looking for another contractor that has purchased the package.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Bill,

I'm interested to find a good HVAC contractor to help my clients solve their 'issues'.

The biggest problem I'm finding is sizing of vent connectors or, like one I did Sunday, someone added a fan assisted furnace to an exterior masonry chimney.

Do you handle these problems; how do you size a vent connector?

Thanks

Darren

Originally posted by energy star

Busy? Working on Sunday?

You're in the trades, we're not. People go out and shop for houses 7 days of the week and their contingency windows are short. Inspectors have to work when the work comes; there's plenty of time for kicking back between jobs.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by hausdok

Busy? Working on Sunday?

You're in the trades, we're not. People go out and shop for houses 7 days of the week and their contingency windows are short. Inspectors have to work when the work comes; there's plenty of time for kicking back between jobs.

OT - OF!!!

M.

This may be where the "industry" is having a hard time as a profession. My doctor, dentist, lawyer, etc., etc., doesn't work that way. Only my Real Estate "professional". And I know what the general thoughts are there.

Is everyone out there doing emergency inspections or are some of you keeping more professional hours? I'm curious.

Originally posted by Jeremy

This may be where the "industry" is having a hard time as a profession. My doctor, dentist, lawyer, etc., etc., doesn't work that way. Only my Real Estate "professional". And I know what the general thoughts are there.

Is everyone out there doing emergency inspections or are some of you keeping more professional hours? I'm curious.

I stopped working Saturdays after 6 years. That was 16 years ago. Never on Sunday or a holiday.

Jeremy, if you break your leg on a Friday evening, do you wait until Monday morning in order to get a "professional" doctor?

Because of the snow and Christmas, I have inspections booked for Saturday and Sunday this weekend. I prefer to work during the week but, as long as the wife didn't have other plans, I make myself available any time. So far, it doesn't seem to be affecting my own sense of professionalism or the way the clients perceive me.

Originally posted by Jeremy

Originally posted by hausdok

Busy? Working on Sunday?

OT - OF!!!

M.

Many doctors work weekends and I know many lawyers that have to go into the office and work on Saturday and likely working at the house on Sundays.

My professional hours are 9am or 2pm Monday - Saturday and 12 noon on Sundays. When I get employees, they will have Sundays and Mondays off unless they want to work those days.

Like Chad, I will work 7 days a week if the work is there. I consider my company to be a 'service' company.

About 7 years ago, I had a buyer, seller and buyer's realtor who were all from India. I conducted an inspection on Easter Sunday morning. Got home in time for dinner and everyone was happy.

If you consider me a 'non professional' so be it; I feel I keep my clients happy. I've also got 2 college bills to pay off.

Co-inspector Rick and I didn't work on weekends. No particular reason, other than we wanted to get the grass cut and watch ballgames like everybody else. I hired Rick because I had no life other than eyeballing houses, talking until I was hoarse, then writing reports until 1AM. Hardly got to see my own family.

During our last five years or so, we cut back to three days a week -- six jobs maximum.

It's that old thing about not wanting to be on your deathbed and thinking, "Dang! I wish I'd spent more time in turdy crawl spaces."

FWIW, I did offer $1000 weekend inspections. I think we picked up two of those. People were in a hurry.

WJ