ultra stinger battery

John Dirks Jr

Originally posted by John Dirks Jr

How long does the battery last on an Ultra Stinger? I don't mean how long between charges. I mean, how long before it gets lame and you have to buy a new one?

It seems like I got about two years out of my first pair. I now cycle through 4 of them -- those four should last quite a while.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I got about 1 year out of my first battery, but I made the cardinal sin of trying to use it after the beam started to fade one day. After that it wouldn't hold a charge.

I replaced the battery and bought a second ultra stinger. I rotate them a little, but I still use one of them as my primary. No problems with either of the batteries in 3 + years of use.

I get 3+ years out of a battery, rotating three of them through two flashlights. I keep the third battery in a plastic tube in my bag. About once a month I put the spare into a flashlight, then put the freshly charged one that I took out, into the tube for a month of 'spare battery duty'.

Don't let the battery discharge completely. My wife once borrowed one and left the switch on. It wouldn't charge at all after that. My heart sunk when I saw it was the battery that I had bought less than a month before. Luckily, the owner of the police supply store where I bought it replaced it at no charge, even after I told him what happened.

Once one discharged completely in my bag after something pressed against the switch. For some reason, that one recharged and has been OK ever since. Maybe it's because I got it on the charger fairly soon after the the discharge.

I have three ultra stingers and I've come to the conclusion that I'm not too fond of them. The battery "on" life is about 40 minutes, so I need the three I have plus I tap into my LED back-up before the inspection is done.

The switches fail at an alarming rate and the new ones aren't any better than the original ones. No improvements are being made. I have functioning push button switches in my home that have been in daily use since 1927.

I apologize if you bought one of these lights based on my recommendation. Honestly, I have a 30 dollar two cell AA 5 watt LED and it's on more than my Stingers. I now use the Stingers for the Gestalt view only.

Assuming that someone's hired me to do an inspection. Geez, it's slow.

I just got my first stinger. I still think it's pretty amazing. It lights up the very tops of the tall trees in my back yard at night. In a dark room inside the house, I shine it at the ceiling and it lights up the whole room with the reflection. If you shine it at the wall and look at the spot it will almost burn your eyes. I couldn't imaging what it would be like to look directly into the beam. I'm not gonna try.

I need to get an extra battery and a couple of extra bulbs. Where is the cheapest place to get em?

I just got my first stinger. I still think it's pretty amazing. It lights up the very tops of the tall trees in my back yard at night. In a dark room inside the house, I shine it at the ceiling and it lights up the whole room with the reflection. If you shine it at the wall and look at the spot it will almost burn your eyes. I couldn't imaging what it would be like to look directly into the beam. I'm not gonna try.

I need to get an extra battery and a couple of extra bulbs. Where is the cheapest place to get em?

I suggest the local police supply shop. It won't be cheap buy you'll get to look at the cool cop stuff while you're there. (Some of my favorites: polypro tactical underwear; special pens that you can use to write speeding tickets in the rain; and the new lightweight body armor. ) Stay away from cheap batteries on e-bay.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Exactly, RE the 295 lumens produced by the UltraStinger. The run times stink, but nothing else lights up dark spaces as well as they do.

If we can't see it, we can't tell our peeps about it.

The last battery I purchased at a Battery Plus store has lasted 3 years. I do run two of them. I keep one in my truck on the charger 24/7 and one at home on the charger. They get swapped out from time to time simply by use. When I have an inspection I take both lights. When I come home, one goes inside and one stays in the truck. The factory battery lasted a little under 2 years on both lights. I get about a full hour of run time to a charge. But, I never leave the light on. I just mash the button when I need light and then turn it back off. Had the on/off button replaced once (for free)on one of might Ultra-Stingers.

Don't get despondent, John(Which I only say 'cause the photo for some reason renders your post a sad one). The bulbs last a reasonably long time.

Another important lesson I don't want you to learn the hard way--like I did--is that you should never use the butt end of the flashlight to whack a stubborn furnace panel (or anything else) back into place if you're in an attic or crawlspace. The jarring can cause the bulb to suddenly fail.

My streamlight ultrastinger has been through it all. The worst I remember was rolling off a 15 foot high roof and smacking the concrete walkway below. I thought for sure that I had destroyed it. The trusty light worked fine, only the housing received a few more nicks.

I am on my second battery; currently running one year (first one lasted 3 years). I have probably gone through about 7-8 bulbs. I do keep a small LED backup for when the battery goes dead. You sure can't beat the amount of light the ultrastinger puts out!