Fenix TK11

kurt

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
I couldn't resist any longer. I just ordered one.

How are they holding up?

So far so good. It took me a few days to get used to the light it puts out-- I finally decided I liked it more than the Mag. My only problem with it is it's so dang small I'm not as quick to the draw with it (gotta find it); my heart skips a beat at times when I lose it in my tool bag as well......

After weeks of looking at the thing every other day online, I'm going to give in and buy one, too. One question for those of you who are using them: what kind of belt holster are you using? I assume Kurt is the only guy who custom made his own holster.

I use the one that came with it. During the home inspection I keep it in my back pocket and after it goes into the holder on my tool belt.

Randy,

I think you need some more tools on your hip[:-slaphap

I'm using the re- chargeables as well. They are Tenergy brand 2600 mAh 3.7 volt batteries. I thought that 2600 would be better than 2400's.

Next question: What charger are you all using (mines a Tenergy)? Maybe some chargers work better than others? I know that with lithium batteries you are not supposed to drain them down all the way before charging them. I take mine out after every couple of jobs most of the time, and stick the battery on the charger. Half of the time, the battery charger shows a green light which means it's fully charged charged; I think the charger is confused.

Dreamin' of the day I can use the same battery for 10-15 jobs.............

I think you need some more tools on your hip

I've tried to lighten my load many times. I'm a man of laziness and convenince. I can work better when things are right at my disposal.

Here's the charger I'm using.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200962221246_DSC02686.jpg

40.12 KB

P.S. I keep my light on the low output 95% of the time, not the high output.

I think you need some more tools on your hip

I've tried to lighten my load many times. I'm a man of laziness and convenince. I can work better when things are right at my disposal.

Here's the charger I'm using.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200962221246_DSC02686.jpg

40.12 KB

I realize that restraint is a characteristic of maturity, but I leave my Fenix on high pretty much all the time. Attics, basements, underneath decks in daylight, even checking for moisture stains on ceilings and around doors inside a house . . . it just seems like the brighter the corona, the more I'm gonna see. Except, that is, when one peers inside an electrical panel and the beam reflects off the bus and nearly blinds you.

Thanks Randy-- that's the same charger I've got.

I think I've set my flashlight to the low setting twice-- both times when the battery was running low. The instructions say that once the full bright starts to dim or flash, you should set it to low and replace the batteries at your convenience. I'm tempted to see how long mine will burn on low once I'm running out of juice on high. I know it's gotten me through 2 crawlspaces......

• 3 months later...

Well, the Fenix sailed well on her maiden voyage.

Now, oddly enough, like an addict, I need more candle power. I was on an inspection today thinking more would be good. I think the next bump up is 150 or so.

Thanks Kurt.... [;)]

@ Terry. The Fenixes are awesome, except for the holsters as you can see from the photo. I bought an O-Light M30 Triton a few weeks ago, mainly for nighttime trips to the dog park. The O-Light is dazzling at 700 lumens, and it has a runtime of about 90 minutes with two 18650s. The lowest setting is worthless, but the middle setting is 120 lumens, which can be sustained for nearly seven hours.

The Fenixes are gonna remain my workhorses, but I've used the O-Light for work recently, and it reeaally lights up a dark space. I'm not trying to tempt you, but you did say more might be good.

And just so you don't get the wrong idea, I haven't become a flashlight junkie, but I have been known to talk myself into a few things with the old, "Well, but I can buy that. I can write it off as a business expense."

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091022195443_DSC00002.jpg

54.29 KB

@ Terry. The Fenixes are awesome, except for the holsters as you can see from the photo. I bought an O-Light M30 Triton a few weeks ago, mainly for nighttime trips to the dog park. The O-Light is dazzling at 700 lumens, and it has a runtime of about 90 minutes with two 18650s. The lowest setting is worthless, but the middle setting is 120 lumens, which can be sustained for nearly seven hours.

The Fenixes are gonna remain my workhorses, but I've used the O-Light for work recently, and it reeaally lights up a dark space. I'm not trying to tempt you, but you did say more might be good.

And just so you don't get the wrong idea, I haven't become a flashlight junkie, but I have been known to talk myself into a few things with the old, "Well, but I can buy that. I can write it off as a business expense."

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091022195443_DSC00002.jpg

54.29 KB

Well hell....

I use the TK11 all the time however, truth be told, I miss the baton size of the Ultra Stinger. I always put the flashlight in the rear pocket and with the TK11 I have to dig for it. Also for some strange reason I put the TK into my tool pouch upon occasion then I have to stop to look for it next time I need it (out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most).

Looks like a new toy tool for HLIS.

John, did you look at the TK40? What drove your decision to purchase the M30? How long does it take to charge the batteries for the M30?

What sold me on the O-Light was that it uses the same 18650 batteries as the TK-11, whereas the TK-40 uses 8 AAAs. The 18650s are less than ten bucks apiece, so having a few extras on hand isn't an expensive proposition.

Since I mix and match batteries between the Fenix and O-Light, I've never actually paid attention to the charge times. I just put the batteries in the charger every night and they're ready for action the following morning.