Fenix TK11

kurt

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good call, Kurt.

Mine came in the mail today. I took the Fenix and an UltraStinger to the dog park once the sun went down, and they're pretty much equals when it comes to firepower. The US has a higher lumens rating, but the Fenix's LED has that bright--read more focused--center circle that made up for the lesser lumens.

Here's hoping the switch holds up. The only negative is that I can't remove the battery without unscrewing both the headpiece and tailpiece and shoving the battery through the tube with my finger. Is your experience the same, or have you figured out something I haven't?

No, I just take off the tailpiece and the battery slides out neatly and cleanly. If there's something weird, I'd send it back and demand another.

I got the "R2" slightly brighter model; it's about 240 lumens, and easily as bright as a Ultra Stinger, but with a much whiter light.

They're both good lights, but I dig the small size of the Fenix, and the battery life is unreal.

The single downside is the lame holster they send with it. I just fabricated my own hardshell "quickdraw" holster out of some really thick leather, boiled it, and formed it to the light. Yes, I'm OC........

I discovered this place when I started to get the itch......

www.candlepowerforums.com

It's the epicenter of flashlight freaks. Near as I can tell, if you say you have a UStinger in this forum, they think you're a dork.

The problem isn't so much with the Fenix but rather with the battery diameter. It's nothing I can't live with.

I bought mine at batteryjunction. com. They advertise a Fenix that has a 600 lumens output that's available later this month.

My Streamlight days may be over . . .

The problem isn't so much with the Fenix but rather with the battery diameter. It's nothing I can't live with.

I bought mine at batteryjunction. com. They advertise a Fenix that has a 600 lumens output that's available later this month.

I bet you can't whack a ticked off dog with the Fenix like you can with the Ultra Stinger![;)]

Might be a faulty battery, broken seal, or some other defect. Don't they expand when they have leaky seal?

Where did you get it Kurt?

From the Fenix store. Bain got a better price than me, but only by a few bucks and mine shipped for free on some promotion. Placed the order and had it in 2 days USPS.

I've become a flashlight freak overnight. I used to wonder why anyone cared all that much about their stupid flashlight, which is why I had the motley collection of maglites and cheap home depot floods.

Of course, the Fenix doesn't compare with Les' melting wax on his forehead and sticking a candle to his noggin.........

The batteries seem okay. I ordered the 2400 mAh outputs, so maybe they're slightly larger. Again, not a big deal.

I used the Fenix for my morning gig. The crawlspace was tiny, and brilliantly illuminated. The only drawback was when I looked in the electrical panel, the Fenix was too bright. I had to dial it down to the lower output mode so I could see.

I bet you can't whack a ticked off dog with the Fenix like you can with the Ultra Stinger![;)]

That's what the XD9 is for.

I'll let ya know how their service dept is...I had to send mine back. No brightness-changing settting (turbo-regular, or vice-versa...just one brightness).

Rubs me wrong that I had to pay about $6.50 to mail back to get it repaired or replaced, 'specially since it came out of the box that way.

It may not have been broken, Jerry. I didn't think mine was working at first, either. But there's no definitive click or anything when the brightness is changed. You just have to open the bezel maybe 1/40th of a turn to go from the turbo mode to the lesser one--it's really subtle. If you turn the bezel too far, the LED goes dark.

As for the XD9, I'm not certain deadly force is necessary to discourage a grumpy dog. Pepper spray might be a more appropriate--and kinder--response.

I'll let ya know how their service dept is...I had to send mine back. No brightness-changing settting (turbo-regular, or vice-versa...just one brightness).

Rubs me wrong that I had to pay about $6.50 to mail back to get it repaired or replaced, 'specially since it came out of the box that way.

It may not have been broken, Jerry. I didn't think mine was working at first, either. But there's no definitive click or anything when the brightness is changed. You just have to open the bezel maybe 1/40th of a turn to go from the turbo mode to the lesser one--it's really subtle. If you turn the bezel too far, the LED goes dark.

Thanks, John, but no matter what I did or twisted or pulled or rotated or monkeyed-with (flashlight included), zero noticeable change in brightness.

You say it's really subtle...do you mean the bezel adjustment, or the change in brightness? Between my wife & I, we couldn't see any change in brightness, whether we were inside, outside, lights on, lights off, etc.

I'm thinking a change to *Turbo* mode would be readily apparent...

No, the difference in brightness is readily apparent, but the small bezel twist that's necessary to go from turbo mode to the lesser one is very, very slight.

I stuck in the battery, twisted the head- and tailpieces nice and tight, and the thing was instantly on turbo mode. But it took some tinkering to back the brightness down to longevity mode.

'Course, you know, maybe mine is a little wacked, too, and I'm just not aware of it. Let's wait and see if Kurt's experience was similar to mine.

Similar. The difference is very apparent now. And yes, you only turn the headpiece about 1/8" to go from turbo to general lighting mode.

At first, it didn't seem like that distinct a difference. Now that I've had it a week, it's very, very obvious and distinct. I wonder if there's a bulb "break in" period...(?).

Don't know if it's the light or me.

I'm really liking the light, though. It's one of the big desires of everyone over at Candlepower forums.

On my first inspection using the Fenix flashlight, I missed a small moisture stain on a bedroom ceiling. I caught the moisture stain by accident later as I was walking back through the room.

I immediately went back out to the truck and got my UltraStinger and rechecked all the rooms. I didn't find any more stains.

The Fenix flashlight has a bright white light where the UltraStinger has more of a yellow light. A yellowish light may tend to highlight stains better then a white light.

I can do two complete inspections on the high setting before I have to recharge the battery.

For now, I will continue to use the UltraStringer as my primary flashlight as I experiment with the Fenix.

Tom

Yes, the battery needs to come out to be recharged. The flashlight only takes one battery, but the charger will hold two batteries. I keep a spare battery in the truck.

Jeff Euriech

Peoria Arizona