Fenix TK11

kurt

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It had better be a shallow dive. Read this:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=173313

That's actually a pretty cool forum. If you ever begin to worry that folks who roam this place suffer severely from OCD, check out candlepowerforums.

I read a review on the O-Light there before I bought it, and you can't imagine all the graphs and photos they dedicated to the M-30. The reviewer wasn't crazy about the PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) on lower settings, but for me it wasn't a fatal flaw.

• 1 year later...

I washed one of the batteries for my TK11 - I don't recommend this.

The battery is a "Ultrafire - LC18650 - 2400mAh - 3.7v - LI-ion"

Doing a web search for a "LC18650" I find different makers and different mAh.

I'm thinking of buying a different maker and 2600mAh. Has anyone else used a battery other then the one the TK-11 came with. Any concerns going to a bigger mAh?

I'm thinking of buying a different maker and 2600mAh. Has anyone else used a battery other then the one the TK-11 came with. Any concerns going to a bigger mAh?

No concerns unless you don't like longer battery life! I have been using a pair of Ultrafire 3000mAh batteries for a year or so with no problems.

I'm using Tenergy's @ 2600 mAh. Amazon had deal going a while back. I get whatever is the best deal at the moment. 2600mAh gives me hours of use on a single charge. I don't think I've ever run one down; they last days for me.

Get the highest mAh you can; AHI has it right, there's no downside.

The rubber boot that covers the switch on the end of the light has worn away from frequent use. After searching the internet with no luck I contacted the manufacturer in China and have been exchanging e-mails all week. I've learned the boots are not sold seperatly and the manufacturer will not sell or send me one. I guess there was an extra one in the box the light came in, but mine is lost. Just FYI - they make a great light, but their customer support is in the dark.

Thanks for the service/support review. I've been quite spoiled by the incredible service from the folks at Streamlight.

How many lumens do we really need for LED lights? Seriously, what's the minimum?

Streamlight is starting to add LEDs to some of their products. One of mine has a combo halogen and LED. I've been looking at the new LED Stinger HP or DS with 200 lumens.

The rubber boot that covers the switch on the end of the light has worn away from frequent use. After searching the internet with no luck I contacted the manufacturer in China and have been exchanging e-mails all week. I've learned the boots are not sold seperatly and the manufacturer will not sell or send me one. I guess there was an extra one in the box the light came in, but mine is lost. Just FYI - they make a great light, but their customer support is in the dark.

I'll bet that a clever person could fashion a perfectly acceptable boot from this & that.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks for the service/support review. I've been quite spoiled by the incredible service from the folks at Streamlight.

How many lumens do we really need for LED lights? Seriously, what's the minimum?

Streamlight is starting to add LEDs to some of their products. One of mine has a combo halogen and LED. I've been looking at the new LED Stinger HP or DS with 200 lumens.

The TK-11 is really nice kit Bill. The LED lumens / battery life is so much better than the Stinger. For 75 clams, or so, it's well worth the investment. FWIW.

I've had my TK-11 for over two years now, bought three batteries (Tenergy 18650 3.7V) and a double charger. I put a fresh battery in each day before I leave the home, the other two batteries are in the charger. I have a big old Mag in the tool bag for clients to use but I've never run the battery too low on the Fenix. Only problem I've had was wearing out the belt pouch that came with it.

Well being polite and friendly got me no where, but when I wrote "One rubber cap lasted me about 1.5 years. I’ll be sure to inform all the other inspectors and flashlight enthusiast of this." I have a new rubber boot on its way. So in the end they did come through. I'll probably find the spare that came with my light now.

The TK-11 is really nice kit Bill. The LED lumens / battery life is so much better than the Stinger. For 75 clams, or so, it's well worth the investment. FWIW.

I've followed the Fenix reviews here, but I'd really like to stay with Streamlight. For over 2 decades, their service has been amazing - better by far than for any other product. They will replace anything that stops working or I can manage to break (I think those exact words are in the warranty). Not only do they replace the broken part, they refurbish the whole thing every time - no charge. They're also an American manufacturer that provide many local PA jobs.

I have always used the SL-20XP halogens that are the equivalent of 145 lumens. They're plenty bright for everything I do, except for the large barns that the big doors no longer open, warehouses and large commercial or industrial buildings without electricity supplied. For those I use the Streamlight Litebox @ 540 lumens. So again, for an everyday LED light, how many lumens do we really need?

In '86 I started out with the SL20, which was about the best light available. Switched to the Stinger and then the Ultra when they first made them. The rechargable feature is great, and service was good at the local machine shop where I bought several Streamlights. But the batteries and bulbs got expensive, and the new batteries were just not lasting that long.

The Fenix TK30 is 600 lumens and is the size of the Stinger. It's a kick ass light and I need every bit of it in crawlspaces and attics. My eyes aren't getting any better.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard back from Streamlight. It seems like they won't be coming out with any decent LED that can use rechargeable batteries.

Thanks to you fargin bastages, I've now ended my 25 year loyalty to Streamlight and purchased the Fenix TK12. It has three modes with two outputs for each mode and a handy clip. I also got a pair of 18650 3600mAh batteries with a charger - all for under $90.00.

I heard back from Streamlight. It seems like they won't be coming out with any decent LED that can use rechargeable batteries.

Thanks to you fargin bastages, I've now ended my 25 year loyalty to Streamlight and purchased the Fenix TK12. It has three modes with two outputs for each mode and a handy clip. I also got a pair of 18650 3600mAh batteries with a charger - all for under $90.00.

Hmmm,

I see that ACE hardware has an after Thanksgiving Dat sale on 2 D-Cell LED maglights for $9.99 each. They are identical to the one that I got from EBPHI; and, since that light does the job very well - I don't have a need to create sunlight where there isn't any - I'll probably pick up a few. They'll probably tide me over until I'm too old to do this stuff anymore.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hmmm,

I see that ACE hardware has an after Thanksgiving Dat sale on 2 D-Cell LED maglights for $9.99 each. They are identical to the one that I got from EBPHI; and, since that light does the job very well - I don't have a need to create sunlight where there isn't any - I'll probably pick up a few. They'll probably tide me over until I'm too old to do this stuff anymore.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

No, no, no. You must have *more* light.

A home inspector isn't properly equipped until his flashlight can ignite the sails of a ship at sea a mile away.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Excellent price. Where'd you get the 3600 mAh batteries?