Vent clearance to service

mridgeelk

I have checked through the NEC and the IRC and can not determine if the distance between the service and vent pipe is incorrect. (my gut feeling is that it is too close) Is the vent pipe considered to be part of the roof structure and should have three feet clearance? Ed

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009324155043_1209%20Third%20St%20032.jpg

43.56 KB

I have checked through the NEC and the IRC and can not determine if the distance between the service and vent pipe is incorrect. (my gut feeling is that it is too close) Is the vent pipe considered to be part of the roof structure and should have three feet clearance? Ed

I'm not aware of any restriction on the distance between the service drop and the b-vent. How far is the white metal roof from the drop wires?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The service cable is about four feet at minimum distance from the white roof. My concern wasn't hot metal and gases but the service cable coming in contact with the metal flue. It is interesting that there is no clearance requirement. Ed

I'm not aware of any restriction on the distance between the service drop and the b-vent. How far is the white metal roof from the drop wires?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

What common sense? Just what is it that folks think is going to occur here anyway? The vent is a double-walled metal vent in free air and isn't going to get that hot anyway. I've put my hands on these things dozens of times and they're never much more than moderatively warm. I can't imagine that cable being damaged by the vent.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike