Pabco?

Jerry Lozier

Can't say I've ever seen them...on any home around here. It does look like similar construction to the Pabco Horizon with pieces stuck on top of three-tab shingles but I doubt they are actually Pabco. In any event, I'd say the damage is beyond cosmetic. Maybe they won't leak yet, but the cracks are not normal and could develop into a serious problem soon for all I know.

If it was my own house, I would probably risk a few more years. But, as an HI, and without having some very good info that would suggest otherwise, I would have to tell a buyer that the 16 year old roofing is failing and is in need of replacement.

Can't say I've ever seen them...on any home around here. It does look like similar construction to the Pabco Horizon with pieces stuck on top of three-tab shingles but I doubt they are actually Pabco. In any event, I'd say the damage is beyond cosmetic. Maybe they won't leak yet, but the cracks are not normal and could develop into a serious problem soon for all I know.

If it was my own house, I would probably risk a few more years. But, as an HI, and without having some very good info that would suggest otherwise, I would have to tell a buyer that the 16 year old roofing is failing and is in need of replacement.

They are certainly ugly.... I agree Richard.... that the 16 year old roofing is failing and is in need of replacement. Hoping someone knew the brand....

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1010579.JPG

100.48 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1010571.JPG

99.77 KB

Man that is an ugly shingle! That splitting looks very similar if not the same to the defective shingles that were made in the early 1990's If that is a1993 shingle, it fits in the same time frame. Several manufacturers reduced the amount of petroleum product (asphalt) in their mix. They then increased the adhesive strip and gave it more holding power. The shingles basically tore themselves apart through thermal expansion.

As for the ugly roof it needs to be replaced.

I'd be afraid that those shingles would give be vertigo and I'd fall off the roof.... or maybe just puke off the edge.

I have had a talk discussion with my go to roofer about this type of defect. He basically said that it is a manufacturing defect, citing the same reasons Scott stated above, but that there is not enough evidence to suggest that they will fail early.

That's one of Certainteed's lovely "Shangles" that used a granule overlay to create the illusion of worn, striated shakes. The stuff manufactured in the late '80s and early '90s was pretty well known for severe granule loss at the edges, surface cracks and there were many, many warranty claims. There was a class action filed in PA.

I'd be afraid that those shingles would give be vertigo and I'd fall off the roof.... or maybe just puke off the edge.

I have had a talk discussion with my go to roofer about this type of defect. He basically said that it is a manufacturing defect, citing the same reasons Scott stated above, but that there is not enough evidence to suggest that they will fail early.

I thot I was having a wildwood flower flashback, ah the 60's, almost bought a pizza on the way home

• 5 years later...