shingles at the starter edge

jodil

This house is new construction..Usually I see shingles installed to the edge of the starter course... This one is about a half inch short... Is this ok? If not, why? There was also some wavyness at the edge as you can see by pic 2. I could not see or feel anything under the shingles..any suggestions?

Thanks

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009810133820_109_2744.jpg

56.51 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009810133941_109_2743.jpg

45.32 KB

This house is new construction..Usually I see shingles installed to the edge of the starter course... This one is about a half inch short... Is this ok? If not, why? There was also some wavyness at the edge as you can see by pic 2. I could not see or feel anything under the shingles..any suggestions?

Thanks

One of the reasons we use a starter strip is to have something to stagger under the butt joints of the first course of shingles. With the starter strip exposed, there isn't anything under the butt joints of the starter strip.

Water must be flowing through those joints and behind the gutter.

Don't you guys extend both your starter strip and first course past the edge of the roof an inch or so?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

No one here extends the starter or shingles over the edge by any more than maybe an 1/8th of an inch if at all. Usually the end right at the edge of the drip edge. In fact I have seen other inspectors report negatvely about doing so, why I have no idea.

Construction has an amazing number of regional practices; might be there was some legendary roofer that started all this years ago, and it just spread.

Charlie Woods had a little statistical game he'd play regarding the same thing in HI work; one guy says something, two people hear it and each tell two more, etc.

Pretty soon, you have a lot of HI folks doing something really stupid, and no one's sure where it came from, but everyone's certain it's right.

As far as this roof, I can imagine a few possible problems with what you've got there. I'd also be curious if there was IWS under everything; N. Dakota gets the ice dams, as you know from last winter.

My concern with that installation off the top of my head is as to whether the head lap is adequate. If that starter was designed/ cut so that there was just enough overlap, then there is now not enough overlap. There would then be a potential to have water leak in at butt joints (every 39" or so).

If a proper dripedge flashing is installed, the lap is adequate, and everything is detailed properly below the visible shingles, you will probably be OK. The only concern I can think of is that if the shingles are cut flush with flashing, water could wick up the flashing, especially on a lower sloped roof.

Yes the starter strip is to be extended over, the edge, for years there were no metal drip edges installed, and lots of those roofs lasted the expected life.

It would not surprise me to find out that this is a retro fix, done by picking up the tabs and sliding the shingle under to get the over hang that was not done when the shingles were installed, probably only extends up a hair past the tab cut out.

Jodil, this link may help you: http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/20217.pdf