What is function of this?

blazenut

It's a type of water filter called a "spin-down sediment trapper". It uses centrifugal force to clear the debris from the screen. The sediment then collects at the bottom, where it gets flushed out. Usually, there's just a 5-gallon pail below the valve.

Should it not discharge into an indirect waste receptor?

- Jim in Oregon

It's a type of water filter called a "spin-down sediment trapper". It uses centrifugal force to clear the debris from the screen. The sediment then collects at the bottom, where it gets flushed out. Usually, there's just a 5-gallon pail below the valve.

Should it not discharge into an indirect waste receptor?

- Jim in Oregon

The bucket is an indirect waste receptor.

If you're speaking of the installation Mr. nuts' picture, the hose (and that particular valve) are not supplied by the manufacturer. It was subsequently added for convenience. I think it would be acceptable if it had an air gap device, like the type (that are supposed to be) installed for water treatment systems' backwash discharge.

Not unless it's connected to the home's drainage system.

If you're speaking of the installation Mr. nuts' picture, the hose (and that particular valve) are not supplied by the manufacturer. It was subsequently added for convenience. I think it would be acceptable if it had an air gap device, like the type (that are supposed to be) installed for water treatment systems' backwash discharge.

I was speaking of both the situation in the picture and your description of a bucket. I'm wondering whether it's more like the backwash drain on a water softener or like the drain cock on a water heater.

- Jim in Oregon

It was supposed to be some humor.

Indirect - not in a direct course or path.

Waste - designed or used to receive, hold, or carry away excess, superfluous, used, or useless material.

Receptor - a receiver.

It was supposed to be some humor.

Indirect - not in a direct course or path.

Waste - designed or used to receive, hold, or carry away excess, superfluous, used, or useless material.

Receptor - a receiver.

Ooooh. Saaaarcasm.

- Jim in Oregon

• 2 months later...