"AA" Rechargable Battery Review

Mike Lamb

I've been using the same 4 NiMH "AA" Nuon brand rechargable batteries for my digital camera for almost 3 years. I got them from BatteriesPlus and I have to say I've been very happy. I still use them but they are starting to drain quicker than I'd like. I'm going to buy more of the same.

My only complaint is the charger got tempermental a couple years ago where I have to plug it in several times before the batts would start to recharge.

Wondering what others use. I read Energizers are poor. Sanyo are good.

I have used the Sony brand that came with my cameras for several years until they died a few months ago and I was happy with them (actually stole my wife's when she got some with a new camera) The batteries lasted longer than the cameras[;)]

I am currently using Duracell NiMH rechargeable with the corresponding ACCU 15 minute charger with no complaints except the the charger fan is a little loud (but it only runs for 15 minutes.) The quick charge is good since I can pop them in the charger and be assured of a full charge before leaving in the morning if I have failed to remember my normal routine. I tend to charge them regularly, not just when they run down.

My guess is that any battery made today is better than the best from 5 years ago due to technology changes.

I've had the best results from Duracell however I'm still not impressed. I'm amazed that Scott gets that type of performance out of Enegizer batteries as I can only squeeze one inspection out of a charge (on a good day).

Ditto, I have to swap them out after every inspection.

I think the key is the 2500mAh, also not every picture is a flash.

A lot depends on your camera, I currently use an older model Cannon that that uses 4 AA while some of the "less durable" units have only two. Also, power saving settings like automatic flash and LCD review can stretch battery life. I never have a problems with my current camera with 4 batteries, but always had to carry spares for the ones with only two.

Just a side note, I was made aware by another inspector that Cannon offers an out of warranty repair service on their cameras which is excellent. I rolled over and broke the LCD screen on my current camera a few years ago and just replaced it with a new one but never was satisfied with my options. I then tried the repair service on my old faithful and less than 3 weeks and $100 later I had a like new camera!

I have had several different cameras in the last 4 or 5 years that use(d) AA batteries. I get the best results with Energizer Lithium disposable batteries. My current camera has been running 11 months on the same two AA's. I reverse one of the batteries when not using the camera, but any other battery I have tried is usually dead in a day or two, even the rechargables.

Tom

I've had the best results from Duracell however I'm still not impressed. I'm amazed that Scott gets that type of performance out of Enegizer batteries as I can only squeeze one inspection out of a charge (on a good day).

Ditto, I have to swap them out after every inspection.

Mine are 1700mAH, so I guess I need more "mAh", whatever that is.

I think the key is the 2500mAh, also not every picture is a flash.