Shower enclosure

Phillip

A shower is considered a hazardous location. Glass panes install in these locations should have a designation permanently embossed into the glass by way of acid etching, sandblasting or other method. Perhaps look for that designation and research whether it is approved for use as shower stall doors.

Marc

Glass panes install in these locations should have a designation permanently embossed into the glass by way of acid etching, sandblasting or other method. Marc

I wish that was true but it's not. As far as the IRC is concerned, a label can be used that when removed, is permanently destoyed.

Hi,

I don't think there is any glass-to-glass contact. I've seen a number of these and the doors usually have a gap between panels so there is no glass-to-glass contact. They are made from that super strong stuff they use for see-through balcony railings. When they're mounted on balconies there are usually very few mounting points, just like there. I'm not sure how they're made but the last one I looked at looked like some kind of lamination; kind of like windshield glass if you know what I mean.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Frameless shower walls and frameless glass doors are not only tempered, but "toughened" as well. Toughened glass is annealed (stress free) glass that has been heat strengthened. At 1/4"-3/8" thick it's about 5-6 times more resistant to breaking than annealed glass of the same thickness. I wouldn't be concerned about glass breaking, but I think Phillip's initial concern of not having enough support is valid.

Oh, and shower walls/doors are not required to have "a designation permanently embossed into the glass".

• 1 month later...