make it fit

John Dirks Jr

I've done that before, in old houses with plaster walls I've lived in.

You've lived in plaster walls?

(Ha, ha, I kill myself!)

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Well, but before they got my medicine regulated just so, that was the only place where I truly felt safe.

And it had to be plaster. Gypsum simply wasn't sturdy enough . . .

I've seen it that way plenty of times. I'd prefer to have them modify the trim and not the cover plate.

Wouldn't the modification of the plate technically not be allowed?

I'll defer to others RE the plate, but modifying the trim is a major pain in the arse, and the final product looks awful besides.

It's meaningless, but those switchplates are tough to trim because they break so easily. Once in place, though, after the rough edges are caulked and painted, everything blends in pretty well.

I've seen it that way plenty of times. I'd prefer to have them modify the trim and not the cover plate.

Wouldn't the modification of the plate technically not be allowed?

I'll defer to others RE the plate, but modifying the trim is a major pain in the arse, and the final product looks awful besides.

It's meaningless, but those switchplates are tough to trim because they break so easily. Once in place, though, after the rough edges are caulked and painted, everything blends in pretty well.

Spend a few more cents and spring for the nylon plate. Cuts like a dream.

Is there a box behind it?

I didn't remove the cover. The switch worked and it felt solidly mounted. If there was no box, what would hold the switch?

The coverplate is screwed onto the switch yoke. The switch might be screwed to a box or it might be screwed to a couple of pieces of lath.

- Jim Katen, Oregon