Have not run into this FPE panel before

Robert Jones

I don't recall seeing a FPE Stab-Lok panel in a home quite that recent, but that's not to say that it wasn't an older panel (possibly unused) installed in the home. Nonetheless, the Stab-Lok series breaker is the issue, not the age. In fact, they were installed in earlier panels under different names such as No-Ark.

But I suspect you know it's a problem already--regardless of the presumed age.

When the original FPE went out of business, the plant manager and a bunch of employees bought up the remaining stock and the rights and they continued to sell FPE products until just a few years ago when that class action lawsuit was initiated.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Wasn't that law suit in New Jersey only? Is it still active? I only remember it vaguely (one of the side benefits of aging).

Wasn't that law suit in New Jersey only? Is it still active? I only remember it vaguely (one of the side benefits of aging).

I was asked to give a deposition for the plaintiffs attorney. About 3 months later I called the attorney for some info and he told me the suit was settled out of court and the settlement was 'sealed'. No further info available.

That's another subject altogether.

We have many apartments that were converted to condos and some condo/townhouse developments that were built with FPE. Of course I recommend my client have the panel replaced, but when I show them the meter room and see 30 other main disconnects with FPE on them, I really don;t know if replacing one will really help.

• 2 weeks later...

New Homes?

FPE went out of business and stopper production in the mid-80's and the staff bought up the stock and continued to sell it.

I doubt that you're seeing it in new homes unless the builders got a hell of a deal on 25-year new-old-stock equipment.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Yup... I AlWAYS recommend (in writing) that the panel be replaced. But verbally, I explain the entire story and leave the final decision to the buyers. No one so far has backed out of the deal or replaced the panel. But again the real estate market is HOT in Toronto (still). Houses are being sold for more than the asking price in the dead of winter!!!