Marijuana grow ops

Good morning, Gents!

Whether it’s due to Mr. Holmes' recent flurry or due to increasing concern by the public, I’m not sure. However, I’m receiving more phone calls about marijuana grows in homes.

I have put together an initial web discussion on the subject, but would like input from you guys, the Pros. What areas of discussion should I be addressing? What would you find informative?

Please let me know how you would change the discussion, and any other criticism you may have.

The discussion is at:

http://www.forensic-applications.com/ma ... owops.html

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell

Forensic Industrial Hygienist

www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Caoimhín,

I did a 70% read and will go back later today for the final read.

I lost you around the section where you seem to jump from a typ grow op to the meth/crack house. I think you should limit this paper to 1. grow ops in general 2. negative effects of ops on structure and the structure components. 3. advice as to who to call or employ for expertise (not inspectors).

Such a fine head of hair on that air brushed photo at the end!!

Looks very interesting and I'll come back later to read it.

I see you explain how to ID a grow ops. Otherwise what I want to know is what neg conditions exist after the ops has moved or been shut down. Like on the Mike Holmes show, I was thinking so what, they use to gow pot here and why do I care now? I understand there may be electrical corrections needed and holes patched. Unlike a meth lab, what is the real concern with a grow ops, other then correcting the modifications that have been made?

Caoimhín,

If you're looking for honest feedback, I think the piece would be better if you either provided references for statements like this:

"The typical lawful marijuana grow operation is operated by a nefarious character, who usually has a long criminal record. Marijuana grows are frequently found in the same shabby, filthy locations that just a few years ago would have been raided by the police. Dispensaries are frequently homes in your neighborhood, visited at all hours of day and night by arrest warrants just waiting to happen."

or left them out altogether. As it is, it smacks of hyperbole and it makes it sound more like an opinion piece than a science piece.

Síochán

Jimmy

I actually restored a grow house for an insurance company in 1991, after a big bust. They had used black plastic over every window, from the inside, so no one could see in and ran garden hose through the crawl space and up into the different rooms through the floor.

No one actually lived in the home during the operation. It was pretty much a ranch style home turned into a greenhouse with grow lights on 24/7 (another reason for the black plastic on the windows). I always wondered how an entire rural neighborhood never noticed or questioned anything.

The house, however, actually fared surprisingly well - better than one might expect. We had to replace all the carpet and pad, a lot of drywall and some sub-floor, but when we were done, I'd have bought it without hesitation.

This was, of course, before mold was quite the subject it is today (19 years ago), but I honestly don't recall seeing any intimidating fungal growth, which was still always a concern for insurance companies, since it triggers the statement, "ongoing for days, weeks or months.." (Their favorite coverage exclusion clause)

I believe the bust happened pretty pretty close to harvest time.

Fond memory

While I appreciate your defense of Home Inspectors, I find it contradictory that you state a professional inspector shouldn't be expected to identify a grow, immediately followed by advice for home owners and perspective buyers to do so for themselves. Kind of makes us sound unnecessary. I think it would be far more helpful if you started by indicating the signs, telling them to mention any concerns to their inspector because grows are not included in our SOP and may not be on our radar, then indicating the need for further analysis by an IAQ guy or Hygenist. Leave Mr. Holmes out of it, he gets enough press on his own.

Tom

Thanks, Gents!

I appreciate the input! I have incorporated each of your comments and suggestions. Thanks for the criticisms!

If this economy doesn't pick up, I'm thinking I may have to use my knowledge of grows to supplement my income!

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell

Forensic Industrial Hygienist

www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG