Disclosure

I got chewed out big time today by the seller because I told my client I had inspected the home previously (for the seller). Called unprofessional, what does my "unauthorized distribution is prohibited" mean). I wrote back that I always disclose that to the client, never talk about specifics or the prior inspection and that I would feel very dishonest walking around pretending I had never seen the place before. I know exactly why she is pissed. Do you all disclose prior inspections?

WAC 308-408C-020 Ethics

The home inspector must:

(2) Provide full written disclosure of any business or familial relationships or other conflicts of interest between themselves and any other party to the transaction. The parties may include, but are not limited to, buyers, sellers, appraisers, real estate licensees, mortgage representative, tile companies, vendors and service contractors.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I got chewed out big time today by the seller because I told my client I had inspected the home previously (for the seller). Called unprofessional, what does my "unauthorized distribution is prohibited" mean). I wrote back that I always disclose that to the client, never talk about specifics or the prior inspection and that I would feel very dishonest walking around pretending I had never seen the place before. I know exactly why she is pissed. Do you all disclose prior inspections?

Yes (If I remember) I disclose that I inspected a house before. Sometimes I don't remember the house but I find certain marks that I typically leave in certain places. Then I call my wife and ask her to search the database to find out if I inspected it in the past.

The seller is being an ass. Disclosing that you performed an inspection isn't the same as distributing the inspection or disclosing your findings. Gently explain that the disclosure is best for everyone. If that doesn't work, tell him to bite you.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

"I know exactly why she is pissed."

I'll take a stab. Something serious from the first inspection the seller didn't fix, she didn't include in her disclosure, and was hoping would go un-noticed by a different inspector?

I think that has to be it. She didn't disclose that she had had an inspection, didn't want anybody to know, and didn't disclose any of the defects found.

You must be a dang good inspector Richard. Seller's selfish. Doesn't want anyone using you on her own house now that she's trying to sell it. Makes it harder to sell, especially if it's got major findings on it.

But, of course, it is safer and ethical for you to disclose.

Marc

Really wasn't anything that bad, pretty typical mid 1980's. She is selling it for an estate and I think wants to tell buyers she doesn't know anything about it. What gets me is that now I am the "unethical" one. I guess it's called spin.

You need to oil up those back feathers and just let it roll off; like water on a ducks back!

Let her fuss, complain and threaten as you have not done anything wrong. It is her that is being dishonest.