Dr. Visit

Well, for the past two weeks both knees have been really hurting, more specifically, a nerve that runs right below the knee cap. If you bump it just right it feels like someone is putting a hot knife below your knee.

I saw the Otho yesterday and he said that I had bruised the nerves. I got a shot of cortisone in both knees. This is due to looking under sinks, attics, etc...

Not wanting to repeat this again I went out and bought a set of knee pads that you can wear inside your pants.

He thought that it would be a good idea to use an inspection mirror for looking under sinks - I'm not sure I'm up on that idea but it would save the knees!

I'm not the first one, what precautions do others take?

TIA

I got tired of smelling urine every time I looked under or behind a toilet. I've been using a 6 inch mirror for about 7 years. It's kinda funny how when I started to use the mirror how many corroded tail pieces or cracked, leaking toilets I caught.

Darren

About the House

Somewhere in the non compete area of NJ

Terry,

I had a similar problem earlier this year. I had water on one knee following a string of crawl space inspections. Doctor advised me to wrap the knee and always wear knee pads when kneeling. I bought a strap on pair that I primarily use in crawl spaces. I also have a pair I can put on under clothes. The problem I had with them is they were always sliding down. I use an inspection mirror for some things, but not under sinks. Its too hard to see everything.

Hey Dan,

I meant to say hello at CLD but never seemed to catch up with you.

I just figure the surest way to reduce the risk of injury on this job is to reduce your workload. Raising my rates allowed me to do that and still be able to keep body and soil together.

Imagine what our world would be like if we got paid what we are worth....

The pest guys here are getting $150 to do a 40 minute termite inspection with a checklist report. What does that make a 3 hour home inspection with a narrative report covering all the major components worth?

Sorry to hijack the thread, Terry. We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming...

For a couple a bucks at the local garden store or big orange box, precut foam pads they use for gardenin' work great. The thicker the better. Sometimes, during certain seasons they even stock different colored foam! Always carry the pads around the interior. Don't care much if I leave 'em behind cuz they cost $2.00.

I find the use of employees greatly reduces the stress on my knees. All kidding aside, my back is my Achilles heel. I have found that since I switched to a telescping ladder, which I can use about 99% of the time, my back spasms and aches have almost disappeared.

I also do a lot of leg work in the gym. Most macho guys are obsessed with their guns and chest, but I've resigned to the fact that, genetically, I have the upper body of a 13 year old girl. Keeping the muscles strong around my knees and hips have kept me pain-free.

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

The pest guys here are getting $150 to do a 40 minute termite inspection with a checklist report. What does that make a 3 hour home inspection with a narrative report covering all the major components worth?

As long as the brethren are charging $200 or thereabouts, that will tend to set the market. There are the big box guys whose names we all know that fully expect to blow a lot of jobs, but soak up the losses w/ high volume. Plus, if someone wants to sue them, they are suing a giant corporate conglomerate instead of the smallest fish in the pond.

It's like the airlines where the worst business models, stupidest managers, & cheapest fares drive the industry. We all know what the airline industry is doing.

Then, there's Virgin Airlines, w/ a different business model that manages to make good money because they have a totally unique model.

OK, the thread is totally hijacked @ this point. I'll shut up now.......